The Student Room Group

Timetabling at University

I am about to start University and we now have our timetables. I have some doubles on my timetable, such as double subjects because I am taking a Foundation Year at my University. But I am looking at my timetable is it right that you can have doubles in university especially for a Foundation Year? Also what time to lessons go on till. I am commuting, before anyone asks it's because I cannot afford it even with a maintenance loan so I have no choice- i don't mind driving late or leaving late because in the working world your not gonna be clocking of at 1pm, anyway if I leave at like 7pm or something it's gonna be scary driving that late home- although it's only 25 mins from my house it's still quite scary! I am just asking what time lessons go on for? And do you have doubles lessons in a day?
first year i got double lessons, second year i got triple lessons so 3 hours. some days i finish at 11am others at 6pm just how it goes unfortunately
Reply 2
Teaching can generally be scheduled at any time between 8am and 6pm, but sometimes can go later dependent on demand etc. The latest I have ever taught was a 5pm-6pm session.
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
Teaching can generally be scheduled at any time between 8am and 6pm, but sometimes can go later dependent on demand etc. The latest I have ever taught was a 5pm-6pm session.

Hi, thanks so much for your response. Okay just wanted to check that it wasn't just me. I know there are latish lessons. Thanks for your helpful reply
Reply 4
Original post by intheimageofGOD
first year i got double lessons, second year i got triple lessons so 3 hours. some days i finish at 11am others at 6pm just how it goes unfortunately

Wow!! Okay that's for the heads ups! I just thought it was a glitch but glad to know I am not the only one thanks for your help
Original post by Anonymous
I am about to start University and we now have our timetables. I have some doubles on my timetable, such as double subjects because I am taking a Foundation Year at my University. But I am looking at my timetable is it right that you can have doubles in university especially for a Foundation Year? Also what time to lessons go on till. I am commuting, before anyone asks it's because I cannot afford it even with a maintenance loan so I have no choice- i don't mind driving late or leaving late because in the working world your not gonna be clocking of at 1pm, anyway if I leave at like 7pm or something it's gonna be scary driving that late home- although it's only 25 mins from my house it's still quite scary! I am just asking what time lessons go on for? And do you have doubles lessons in a day?

Hi there :smile:

I believe that it is normal to have double lessons in a day. Normally lessons would be held between 8am - 6pm.

I understand that driving home at night can be dangerous. If you are really concerned about driving when it's dark, you can try to request to change your lesson times with the Uni's timetabling department. (though this may not necessarily be permitted depending on your University. ) In the past, I have managed to change my seminar hours to accommodate driving.

I hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous

Lessons will usually go on until about 5pm for the most part but they can go on until 9pmI had a lecture a 8pm which we managed to get changed to 9am in my first year on Monday we had 9-6/7 depending on labs and then on Tuesday 9-7 I know of one course that had an 8-9 lecture but lecturers don’t want to do so many of them because they want to get home too.
Reply 7
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there :smile:

I believe that it is normal to have double lessons in a day. Normally lessons would be held between 8am - 6pm.

I understand that driving home at night can be dangerous. If you are really concerned about driving when it's dark, you can try to request to change your lesson times with the Uni's timetabling department. (though this may not necessarily be permitted depending on your University. ) In the past, I have managed to change my seminar hours to accommodate driving.

I hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Hey Chloe,

This is so helpful! Thanks I might consider doing that if they are permitted it! I am so glad you got to fit things alongside your timetable and so you could get home safe Chloe!

Thanks for your kind reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending