The Student Room Group

I can't seem to understand a thing about calculating a gradient of a straight line

Even worse I have to revise it for my test tomorrow but I can't comprehend it. I've done 6-8 hours of studying in total within the past 2/3 days on this single subject and yet just about every source I look at tells me something different. It's either "y1 - y2 / x1 - x2" or "y1 - x1 / y2 - x2", or to choose 2 random points and count the squares by the axis. I'm wondering if anyone could give me even a last bit of hope for this by explaining this equation ?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by swsummer
Even worse I have to revise it for my test tomorrow but I can't comprehend it. I've done 6-8 hours of studying in total within the past 2/3 days on this single subject and yet just about every source I look at tells me something different. It's either "y1 - y2 / x1 - x2" or "y1 - x1 / y2 - x2", or to choose 2 random points and count the squares by the axis. Even I'm wondering if anyone could give me even a last bit of hope for this by explaining this equation ?

The gradient is (the change in y)/(the change in x) so that would be (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) and also remember that a positive gradient looks like this / and a negative gradient looks like this \. Also it's always helpful to check your work but substituting the points into the equation once you've found it!
Reply 2
Original post by bloodyeclipse
The gradient is (the change in y)/(the change in x) so that would be (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) and also remember that a positive gradient looks like this / and a negative gradient looks like this \. Also it's always helpful to check your work but substituting the points into the equation once you've found it!

Okay, that makes it simpler. Thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest