The Student Room Group

(SQA) Will I fail the entire of National 4 if I fail a 9-mark test in the 2nd unit?

(math)
I just did my first algebra NAT4 test, I haven't gotten the results back but I've definitely failed despite the hours of studying that I've done for it and I'm expecting a 1 or 2 out of 9. This is the first maths test I've failed (I got 26/27 total on 3 or 4 tests on my first unit, this test was in the 2nd unit and is the 1st test. I've passed my 1st unit). I'm wondering if this could be quite detrimental in the future when getting my SQAs, or even getting into uni and college, and if so, is there any way I could redeem myself? Thanks
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by swsummer
(math)
I just did my first algebra NAT4 test, I haven't gotten the results back but I've definitely failed despite the hours of studying that I've done for it and I'm expecting a 1 or 2 out of 9. This is the first maths test I've failed (I got 26/27 total on 3 or 4 tests on my first unit, this test was in the 2nd unit and is the 1st test. I've passed my 1st unit). I'm wondering if this could be quite detrimental in the future when getting my SQAs, or even getting into uni and college, and if so, is there any way I could redeem myself? Thanks

Hi!! I'm currently taking AH Maths rn (predicted A1) and have scored A1s in both N5 & Higher Maths, so I feel like I'm eligible to give you a reply...!

Firstly, please don't worry about this test affecting your future too much! :h:
To put it bluntly, in the grand scheme of things... It's only one NAT4 test that you haven't even gotten the results for.
Even if you get a bad result... Your grades rn don't define how good at maths you'll be in a couple of months' time. Your scores are bound to improve, especially with your commitment to studying!!

Also, hey!!! Give yourself some credit! Algebra is tricky to get your head round the first time :smile::smile:!
What matters is you tried your best with your studies before the test and went in there and answered the questions to the best of your ability~
I know of lots of people doing NAT4 who didn't even bother studying & got low scores on all their tests that year~ (N4 was so unserious like that lolol).
They then went on to score As in NAT5 and beyond.
So to answer your question, your performance this year is definitely not going to be "detrimental" to your future!!!

To "redeem" yourself (although I'm sure you absolutely smashed that algebra test :wink:), look up the questions on this website and spam the topics you're unsure about --> https://www.national5maths.co.uk/free-national-4-maths/ !!!
I would also just go ahead and look at the N5 website (https://www.national5maths.co.uk/free-national-5-maths-2/) as well, because (from what I remember) a lot of Nat4 content overlaps with the Nat5 topics~
So long as you reflect on all the questions that you attempt and understand the methods that you're using to answer them, I'm confident your Maths future is safe~ :top:
And hey hey!! If you need any help with revision or motivation, please feel free to PM me! Good luck!! :heart:

Quick Reply

Latest