The Student Room Group

Help with calculating my final grade!

Hello!

I have just finished a 2 year foundation degree, and I did not do as well as I could have, so I am not sure I am going to pass this year (2nd year). I need help calculating my final grade to see if I have passed overall, or if I have failed altogether. I failed 3 out of 7 units as I did not achieve 40% (but achieved 30%; 30%; 32.5%). I have calculated an overall final grade for this year, but I am not sure I am doing it correctly! Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

I have stated the grades for assignments and exams that I achieved below:

Unit 1 assignment 38%; exam 49%; I added them together and divided by 2 to get the overall % achieved for the unit, not sure if this is the correct maths. That gave me 43.5% overall % for unit 1.

Unit 2 - assignment and exam achieved 30%

Unit 3 - debate 52%; assignment 44%; with overall average of 48%

Unit 4 - podcast 58%; assignment 40%; with overall average of 49%

Unit 5 - presentation 57%; assignment 70%; with overall average of 63.5%

Unit 6 - assignment 45%; exam 20%; with overall average of 32.5%

Unit 7 - 30%

Then I added all the overall unit percentages together and divided by the total number of units (7) to get the overall grade for the year which is 42%.

I am not good at maths so not sure if I have calculated it correctly! If so, have I passed?!

Thank you so much for your help!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by archypops
Hello!

I have just finished a 2 year foundation degree, and I did not do as well as I could have, so I am not sure I am going to pass this year (2nd year). I need help calculating my final grade to see if I have passed overall, or if I have failed altogether. I failed 3 out of 7 units as I did not achieve 40% (but achieved 30%; 30%; 32.5%). I have calculated an overall final grade for this year, but I am not sure I am doing it correctly! Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

I have stated the grades for assignments and exams that I achieved below:

Unit 1 assignment 38%; exam 49%; I added them together and divided by 2 to get the overall % achieved for the unit, not sure if this is the correct maths. That gave me 43.5% overall % for unit 1.

Unit 2 - assignment and exam achieved 30%

Unit 3 - debate 52%; assignment 44%; with overall average of 48%

Unit 4 - podcast 58%; assignment 40%; with overall average of 49%

Unit 5 - presentation 57%; assignment 70%; with overall average of 63.5%

Unit 6 - assignment 45%; exam 20%; with overall average of 32.5%

Unit 7 - 30%

Then I added all the overall unit percentages together and divided by the total number of units (7) to get the overall grade for the year which is 42%.

I am not good at maths so not sure if I have calculated it correctly! If so, have I passed?!

Thank you so much for your help!

Different unis / colleges have different policies and regulations when it comes to this sort of thing. For example, they may say that you need to pass all 7 units in order to get any final grade at all. Or it may be that the units are of different "sizes" (depending upon how many credits they're worth) and that you therefore need to weight the unit grades rather than simply taking a simple average.

Your other post here on TSR makes mention of FDSC Animal Management and Zoology. Is that the foundation degree you're doing? If so, I suspect the academic regulations of the Royal Agricultural University (RAU) might apply. Does that sound right? Their academic regulations (here) say that:

"143. Candidates for the award of a Foundation Degree who have achieved the required credits as specified above and whose average score in the final assessment is 40% or greater will be awarded a Foundation Degree. The final assessment will normally comprise the results of level 4 weighted at 30% plus the results of level 5 weighted at 70%"

Note the "who have achieved the required credits" part of the above. This is important because they also say:

"140. A student who has passed a module by achievement of a module mark of at least 40% shall be awarded the credits for that module."

That would suggest that any module with a mark lower that 40% isn't a pass and those credits don't count. As a Foundation Degree Science (FdSc) is comprised of a minimum of 240 credits (120 per year), that would be a problem.

I'm getting ahead of myself. Can you confirm at what uni / college you're at, and whether I've guessed the course (and RAU association) correctly? Does your uni / college have any kind of student support team you can talk to about the impact of those failed modules?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Different unis / colleges have different policies and regulations when it comes to this sort of thing. For example, they may say that you need to pass all 7 units in order to get any final grade at all. Or it may be that the units are of different "sizes" (depending upon how many credits they're worth) and that you therefore need to weight the unit grades rather than simply taking a simple average.

Your other post here on TSR makes mention of FDSC Animal Management and Zoology. Is that the foundation degree you're doing? If so, I suspect the academic regulations of the Royal Agricultural University (RAU) might apply. Does that sound right? Their academic regulations (here) say that:

"143. Candidates for the award of a Foundation Degree who have achieved the required credits as specified above and whose average score in the final assessment is 40% or greater will be awarded a Foundation Degree. The final assessment will normally comprise the results of level 4 weighted at 30% plus the results of level 5 weighted at 70%"

Note the "who have achieved the required credits" part of the above. This is important because they also say:

"140. A student who has passed a module by achievement of a module mark of at least 40% shall be awarded the credits for that module."

That would suggest that any module with a mark lower that 40% isn't a pass and those credits don't count. As a Foundation Degree Science (FdSc) is comprised of a minimum of 240 credits (120 per year), that would be a problem.

I'm getting ahead of myself. Can you confirm at what uni / college you're at, and whether I've guessed the course (and RAU association) correctly? Does your uni / college have any kind of student support team you can talk to about the impact of those failed modules?

Hello!
Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate your response and apologise for the delayed reply.
Yes, you are correct! The course was FdSc Animal Management and Zoology at The Royal Agricultural University, taught at Capel Manor College in London.
I have received my final grade and I only achieved 75 credits out of the 120 for this year, so I assume have failed overall. I have seen this on RAU gateway but have not had a final award or fail presented to me yet or any correspondence from the uni/college regarding my fail grade. I know I failed the three units though as I only achieved 30% for those.
Going forward, I would like to repeat the second year for a 3rd time, so I can at least achieve a Foundation degree without doing the 3rd year Top-Up Up. I am aware that I only have one year of student finance available to me which would usually be used for the 3rd year tuition fees. I do have extenuating circumstances which coincides when teaching of those units occurred and I subsequently got deferrals approved for each unit I failed as I was not able to concentrate due to a medical jaw issue.
I am not sure about Advance Learner Loans and the criteria for those as I have not had one before. I am wondering if my application to student finance to repeat the second year for a 3rd time using the 3rd years finance was declined, would I be eligible to apply for an Advance Learner Loan to cover the tuition costs (£9,000+) for a 3rd repeat of year 2? I been in touch with Student Finance who said that should be okay, but I can't get a definitive answer on whether I would qualifyfor an Advance Learner Loan.
I am desprerate to know my options going forward so I can start making applications!
Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Original post by archypops
Going forward, I would like to repeat the second year for a 3rd time, so I can at least achieve a Foundation degree without doing the 3rd year Top-Up Up. I am aware that I only have one year of student finance available to me which would usually be used for the 3rd year tuition fees. I do have extenuating circumstances which coincides when teaching of those units occurred and I subsequently got deferrals approved for each unit I failed as I was not able to concentrate due to a medical jaw issue.
I am not sure about Advance Learner Loans and the criteria for those as I have not had one before. I am wondering if my application to student finance to repeat the second year for a 3rd time using the 3rd years finance was declined, would I be eligible to apply for an Advance Learner Loan to cover the tuition costs (£9,000+) for a 3rd repeat of year 2? I been in touch with Student Finance who said that should be okay, but I can't get a definitive answer on whether I would qualifyfor an Advance Learner Loan.
I am desprerate to know my options going forward so I can start making applications!
Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Given that you're not satisfied with Student Finance saying "that should be okay", it sounds like for looking for an absolute guarantee that you're eligible and that a loan would be forthcoming. I can certainly provide no such guarantee.

I assume that you've looked through the eligibility rules here? Have you followed the advice on that page to, "Ask your college or training provider if you do not know if your course is eligible"? Have you asked them for a "Learning and funding information" letter - you need this to complete the application. Is their any doubt over you nationality of residency status? I guess what I'm asking is this: Why are you skeptical that you are eligible if Student Finance have suggested that you are?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending