The Student Room Group

BTEC applied scince with an extended diploma Unit 7 help

Within the btec applied science with an extended diploma course, how is the unit 7 article meant to be analysed accurately? And what key features are you looking for in the text

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You should look at the mark scheme and the past paper. So when reading the articles look for what they are trying to get across. This would be the scientific implication. Look for how they have written it out. Have they included references to support their evidence. What organisations are they stating, look into those organisations are they bias organisations or reliable? Also the individuals stated, search them up and find out how they influence the scientific implications. Look for further developments of the articles. How they can be improved such as including more methodology to support their hypothesis and results. When reading the articles i suggest you act like you are reading it to another and trying to get them to understand. When you do it like this it then helps you understand more. Also look up certain scientific words in the articles if you don't understand what they mean. Last but not least, when you've got your articles make sure you research about the topic and get a general understanding before moving onto your articles. This will make reading the articles more easier as you've got background knowledge. Good Luck.
Is it true if you fail the unit 7 exam you fail the entire year?
Reply 3
From my experience not really because a lot of people failed it but they got a near pass mark which is not classed as a fail and still got their diploma. So I don’t think its anything to worry about.
Thank you. I got an in class mock and i find this one of the hardest units on the extended diploma. looks like science article writing not for me XD. At least I somewhat covering what you're saying
My advice for Unit 7 utilises the articles. For question one pick as many positive and negative implications as you can across all THREE articles.Q2 pick one or two individuals or organisations from each article and talk about who they will influence, who are they and who is their audience.Q3 DIscuss if valid judgements are made from each article. I wouldn't half-arse it just in case they ask for a single article.Q4 is very simple just draw research developments from each issue.Q5 I'm winging it. like this one you still have to utilize the articles to draw conclusions.read the specimen mark scheme and look for key things that can be applied to any issue.This is just my guess not confident in my guess but will help me get a Merit at least. Used this strategy in my Mock and came out with 18/20 would have for full marks if I wrote my name on that extra paper. The mock was half of the exam anyway but treated it as the real thing where is like triple the marks?
Original post by MysticQueen
My advice for Unit 7 utilises the articles. For question one pick as many positive and negative implications as you can across all THREE articles.Q2 pick one or two individuals or organisations from each article and talk about who they will influence, who are they and who is their audience.Q3 DIscuss if valid judgements are made from each article. I wouldn't half-arse it just in case they ask for a single article.Q4 is very simple just draw research developments from each issue.Q5 I'm winging it. like this one you still have to utilize the articles to draw conclusions.read the specimen mark scheme and look for key things that can be applied to any issue.This is just my guess not confident in my guess but will help me get a Merit at least. Used this strategy in my Mock and came out with 18/20 would have for full marks if I wrote my name on that extra paper. The mock was half of the exam anyway but treated it as the real thing where is like triple the marks?

Thank you so much for this. Very useful. questions 3 is always on article 3 I believe and my tutor exaplain for question 1 to talk about soical, ethical, economic and environmental issues within the article. ah lucky you doing half mock, I did the whole mock. fun 2 hours typing 🤣🤣. congratulations on getting merits, hopefully I get good marks for my mock as I feel I done ok but idk
Yes, its true. Units 1 to 7, are considered mandatory and are considered as external examinations, so if you don't gain a pass or higher for these units, you will fail your entire grade. You can work this out by using the online BTEC grade calculator - Use the link below to calculate your grade(s) for btechttps://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Understanding marks and grades/BTEC_Nationals_2016_2018_Grade_Calculator_2018_2019_v3.xlsm
Original post by AngelGamerXx
Thank you so much for this. Very useful. questions 3 is always on article 3 I believe and my tutor exaplain for question 1 to talk about soical, ethical, economic and environmental issues within the article. ah lucky you doing half mock, I did the whole mock. fun 2 hours typing 🤣🤣. congratulations on getting merits, hopefully I get good marks for my mock as I feel I done ok but idk

No problem. Question 1 I haven't noticed any clear economic reasons besides the fact of cheapness on the prep/
It wouldn't hurt doing question 3 on all articles just in case. All my tutors fully say do all the articles in case they do a sly one you. Better not risk it I say. Up to you really.
No problem. Question 1 I haven't noticed any clear economic reasons besides the fact of cheapness on the prep/
It wouldn't hurt doing question 3 on all articles just in case. All my tutors fully say do all the articles in case they do a sly one you. Better not risk it I say. Up to you really.

Fair enough, i keep it in mind. although i got like 37/50 on the mock so i pretty pleased :biggrin:
Original post by AngelGamerXx

typing...
Original post by mubarek02
typing...

? yeah I did the mock on the computer
How did everyone find the exam today? i think it went alright but i not thinking about until the results. my hand was killing at the end tho
Actually went alright.
If I get a Merit I'll be cool with it my offer is DDM and my projected is D*D*D .
The last question I could have structured it a but better.

I reckon I should get nearly full Mark's on 1-4. proper hammered them in the prep.
Actually went alright.
If I get a Merit I'll be cool with it my offer is DDM and my projected is D*D*D .
The last question I could have structured it a but better.

I reckon I should get nearly full Mark's on 1-4. proper hammered them in the prep.

Nice. I think I got a merit on the exam. Idk how it went but I think it ok. Hopefully as long as I get distinction in my assignment and merits in the exams then I should get D*DD. although a small chance it could be D*D*D
Do u have any advice for note taking when reading the articles for task A?
Reply 16
hey i need help in note taking as well, advice?
(edited 4 months ago)
anyone got notes or ideas to sharee??
i can make a gc
Reply 19
Original post by rosies_233
anyone got notes or ideas to sharee??
i can make a gc

Please do

Quick Reply

Latest