The Student Room Group

Postgraduate student loan after overseas travelling.

Hey guys I'm hoping somebody could please help in regards to post graduate student finance loans in the UK.

I completed my undergrad in 2018 and afterwards went travelling. I was travelling in New Zealand when covid hit and ended up staying there longer than planned as I had to work back my savings etc. I then travelled to Aus and have been living and working casually up until now.#
I feel that I'm ready to come back to the UK and I wish to study a post grad degree. I will need a student finance loan to afford to do this.
Will I still be eligible? I left the UK December 2018 and will return this December. I have been back for visits in between travels and I still have my residential family address where mail is delivered and an active UK bank account.
Any guidance would be great thank you!
Original post by tasha472
Hey guys I'm hoping somebody could please help in regards to post graduate student finance loans in the UK.

I completed my undergrad in 2018 and afterwards went travelling. I was travelling in New Zealand when covid hit and ended up staying there longer than planned as I had to work back my savings etc. I then travelled to Aus and have been living and working casually up until now.#
I feel that I'm ready to come back to the UK and I wish to study a post grad degree. I will need a student finance loan to afford to do this.
Will I still be eligible? I left the UK December 2018 and will return this December. I have been back for visits in between travels and I still have my residential family address where mail is delivered and an active UK bank account.
Any guidance would be great thank you!

Hi there,

Normally, to be eligible for funding you need to have lived in the UK for three years prior to the start of your course.

However, time spent abroad is fine so long as it is temporary, and it sounds like this is the case with yourself.

Do you know when your course will begin?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Hi, I have a slightly similar scenario.

I graduated from my undegraduate course in 2018. I worked in the UK until May 2023, and since then I have been travelling for 7 months, returning this December. This is temporary travel as I have retained my UK residential address and have bank statements to prove this.

I am planning on applying to a Postgraduate course beginning September 2024 and applying for a Postgraduate Masters loan - if I need to provide evidence of residency to Student Finance, how can I do this?

Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Normally, to be eligible for funding you need to have lived in the UK for three years prior to the start of your course.

However, time spent abroad is fine so long as it is temporary, and it sounds like this is the case with yourself.

Do you know when your course will begin?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme

Thanks so much for your reply!

The course I wish to do starts September 2024 so I will have been home for over 9 months before it starts!

Thank you.
Original post by tasha472
Hi Graeme

Thanks so much for your reply!

The course I wish to do starts September 2024 so I will have been home for over 9 months before it starts!

Thank you.

Hi there,

Will you be able to provide evidence that your break in residency was on a temporary basis? This could be temporary visas or work permits. We can also accept employment contracts that show the work was temporary and we can accept evidence that shows you kept a link to the UK such as bank statements.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending