The Student Room Group

archaeology/anthropology a levels

hi everyone, I am currently studying my IGCSES and i was wondering what would be good A levels for archaeology, anthropology or forensic anthropology. im thinking of Bio, Chem, History and Eng lit.

I really enjoy other history and the sciences, can anyone studying these subjects give me an insight on what they want to do in the future?
Hello! Those A Levels you listed are good choices for archaeology, especially for a scientific route! It's good that you like history and science as they will definitely be helpful. But science isn't mandatory for an archaeology degree. I'm starting one this September and I studied Ancient History, Classical Civilisation and Latin at A Level. Archaeology can lead to many career paths, not only just becoming an archaeologist, but many also work in museums and even help law enforcement (especially forensic anthropology students!)
Reply 2
Original post by DerryDelaney
Hello! Those A Levels you listed are good choices for archaeology, especially for a scientific route! It's good that you like history and science as they will definitely be helpful. But science isn't mandatory for an archaeology degree. I'm starting one this September and I studied Ancient History, Classical Civilisation and Latin at A Level. Archaeology can lead to many career paths, not only just becoming an archaeologist, but many also work in museums and even help law enforcement (especially forensic anthropology students!)

a bit late, but thanks so much ☺️
Also to note, you can go into any generalist grad scheme with a degree in archaeology and/or anthropology as any other graduate of any other degree. So the civil service, the media, investment banking/management consulting, accounting, almost any other general business/management/financial services role more or less, etc, etc. Most graduates don't do a job related to their undergraduate degree whatsoever.

In any event in the UK there aren't normally any required A-levels for such degrees, although they are generally mainly assessed through essay formats at most universities so being able to construct a good essay would be useful background. General scientific literacy may also be useful for many archaeology courses and some anthropology courses, although this doesn't necessarily require you to take an A-level in a science. Equally numeracy can be useful to interpret statistical results particularly on the archaeology side I believe, but again this doesn't require an A-level in maths or stats.

I would just note there is no benefit in taking 4 subjects and in fact it may backfire and end up with you getting more average results over 4 subjects rather than excellent results in just 3 subjects. I would recommend only taking 3 for this reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending