The Student Room Group

Ancient World at UCL or Classics and the Ancient World at KCL?

Hi everyone, I would like to apply to both of these universities for these courses for 2024 entry but I am unsure of which one is good for me? I quite like the UCL campus location better and the modules do look more interesting, but one thing that sort of worries me is the name of UCL’s course. Will employers understand that it’s nearly like a classics degree just without the language? I still also do like KCL and the course it’s offering too, as well as it being labelled Classics at the start and the modules don’t seem that bad either. Does anyone have any advice on which one is better?

If you’re a student currently studying one of these courses, I’d really appreciate it if you could give your feedback on how the course is going for you and how UCL/KCL is going for you :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do either of the courses focus on classical languages?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Do either of the courses focus on classical languages?

Both courses allow you take either latin or greek at beginners and then later intermediate and advanced. On UCL’s website for Ancient world, it states that the course can provide an entry for classics for those who haven’t studied greek or latin at school
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by marz11
Both courses allow you take either latin or greek at beginners and then later intermediate and advanced. On UCL’s website for Ancient world, it states that the course can provide an entry for classics for those who haven’t studied it at school

Both courses sound wonderful! I don't think you should worry about the names. Employers are not dashing around trying to find classical studies graduates, nor avoiding employing these with degrees in the ancient world.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Both courses sound wonderful! I don't think you should worry about the names. Employers are not dashing around trying to find classical studies graduates, nor avoiding employing these with degrees in the ancient world.

you think so? thanks! i really wanna stay in london and not many universities in london offer many classics degrees that do not require previous knowledge of ancient languages
Original post by marz11
Hi everyone, I would like to apply to both of these universities for these courses for 2024 entry but I am unsure of which one is good for me? I quite like the UCL campus location better and the modules do look more interesting, but one thing that sort of worries me is the name of UCL’s course. Will employers understand that it’s nearly like a classics degree just without the language? I still also do like KCL and the course it’s offering too, as well as it being labelled Classics at the start and the modules don’t seem that bad either. Does anyone have any advice on which one is better?

Note that the ancient world degree at UCL has been effectively merged with the classics degree into a new course starting from 2024: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/classics-and-ancient-world-ba The "Literature, History, Archaeology" track aligns with the old ancient world programme I believe, while the "language and literature" track aligns with the old classics course I understand. There's also the new "Ancient Middle Eastern Studies" route.

In any event, you have to do language options in all courses. The Literature, History, Archaeology track requires at least 60 credits (i.e. two modules) worth of languages - the old ancient world course required you complete at least intermediate level in a single language, unclear if you can opt for two beginners level modules in different languages in the new course. You can take both Greek and Latin (although you can only do a beginners module in one each year, limiting you to intermediate level in one language and advanced in the other at most) and other languages offered in the department (e.g. Hittite and Sanskrit) or other departments (e.g. Akkadian from HJS or Ancient Egyptian from Archaeology).

The KCL course however I believe has an intensive language track for those without background in either language to attain advanced proficiency in both, but it's subject to performance in first year and you then need to do summer classes after both first and second year, which may be expensive (you will need to find a way to pay for yourself in London without having much time to work) and also limits opportunities to undertake internships etc (so less ideal if you aren't aiming for academia or teaching).

Incidentally if you are especially interested in the language side, UCL also has a degree in ancient languages jointly with HJS, where you combine Greek or Latin with Biblical Hebrew, and then can take your other modules in basically any ancient languages offered by UCL (or SOAS, potentially, if not offered at UCL - although practically speaking this limits you to Avestan/Middle Persian and if offered, Prakrit, as you likely can't meet the requirements for Classical Chinese or Classical Arabic at SOAS on that course). This can be the second of Greek or Latin (subject to the restriction from the department above that you can't take both beginners modules in the same year), or any of a range of others as indicated above.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Note that the ancient world degree at UCL has been effectively merged with the classics degree into a new course starting from 2024: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/classics-and-ancient-world-ba The "Literature, History, Archaeology" track aligns with the old ancient world programme I believe, while the "language and literature" track aligns with the old classics course I understand. There's also the new "Ancient Middle Eastern Studies" route.

In any event, you have to do language options in all courses. The Literature, History, Archaeology track requires at least 60 credits (i.e. two modules) worth of languages - the old ancient world course required you complete at least intermediate level in a single language, unclear if you can opt for two beginners level modules in different languages in the new course. You can take both Greek and Latin (although you can only do a beginners module in one each year, limiting you to intermediate level in one language and advanced in the other at most) and other languages offered in the department (e.g. Hittite and Sanskrit) or other departments (e.g. Akkadian from HJS or Ancient Egyptian from Archaeology).

The KCL course however I believe has an intensive language track for those without background in either language to attain advanced proficiency in both, but it's subject to performance in first year and you then need to do summer classes after both first and second year, which may be expensive (you will need to find a way to pay for yourself in London without having much time to work) and also limits opportunities to undertake internships etc (so less ideal if you aren't aiming for academia or teaching).

Wait so is there no more Ancient World BA at UCL? What about the Classics BA at UCL? when I go to their website, there is currently none of these 2 courses available for 2024 entry.
Original post by marz11
Wait so is there no more Ancient World BA at UCL? What about the Classics BA at UCL? when I go to their website, there is currently none of these 2 courses available for 2024 entry.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/classics-and-ancient-world-ba this is the new degree replacing both those courses. The old degrees will exist as tracks on this new degree, effectively. Just means everyone comes out with the same degree name (not that it matters what your degree name or title is) :smile:
Reply 8
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/classics-and-ancient-world-ba this is the new degree replacing both those courses. The old degrees will exist as tracks on this new degree, effectively. Just means everyone comes out with the same degree name (not that it matters what your degree name or title is) :smile:

It says that Ancient/Classical Greek or Latin at grade A is required for the Language and Literature route. And the course outlines that it has ‘three different routes’ so… I’m confused now…
Original post by marz11
It says that Ancient/Classical Greek or Latin at grade A is required for the Language and Literature route. And the course outlines that it has ‘three different routes’ so… I’m confused now…

I explained this in my earlier post (when I also linked the course programme to start with):

"Note that the ancient world degree at UCL has been effectively merged with the classics degree into a new course starting from 2024: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/classics-and-ancient-world-ba The "Literature, History, Archaeology" track aligns with the old ancient world programme I believe, while the "language and literature" track aligns with the old classics course I understand. There's also the new "Ancient Middle Eastern Studies" route."
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 10
I explained this in my earlier post (when I also linked the course programme to start with):

"Note that the ancient world degree at UCL has been effectively merged with the classics degree into a new course starting from 2024: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...cient-world-ba The "Literature, History, Archaeology" track aligns with the old ancient world programme I believe, while the "language and literature" track aligns with the old classics course I understand. There's also the new "Ancient Middle Eastern Studies" route."

So basically, if I do not have an A level greek or latin I cannot apply for this course?
Original post by marz11
So basically, if I do not have an A level greek or latin I cannot apply for this course?

The three tracks have different requirements and A-level Greek or Latin is only required for the "Language and Literature" track as noted on their website and as you stated. The other two tracks do not have that requirement.
Reply 12
The three tracks have different requirements and A-level Greek or Latin is only required for the "Language and Literature" track as noted on their website and as you stated. The other two tracks do not have that requirement.

Oh my gosh what a relief! I started panicking thinking I couldn’t apply to UCL 😂 Thanks for the clarification! So just to double check, I can indeed apply to the ‘Classics and the Ancient World BA’ and on application process, I will have to decide which pathway I would like to go down? And the grade requirements are the same for each pathway? (AAB)
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by marz11
Oh my gosh what a relief! I started panicking thinking I couldn’t apply to UCL 😂 Thanks for the clarification! So just to double check, I can indeed apply to the ‘Classics and the Ancient World BA’ and on application process, I will have to decide which pathway I would like to go down? And the grade requirements are the same for each pathway? (AAB)

As far as I'm aware the grade requirements are the same for all of them per their website. It also says you need to specify your route upon receipt of application (probably through portico).
Reply 14
As far as I'm aware the grade requirements are the same for all of them per their website. It also says you need to specify your route upon receipt of application (probably through portico).

Can you not do that via UCAS? I haven’t started applying to universities yet
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 15
I'm in love with the idea that KPMG or BAe Systems are really concerned that your degree title implies that you have only read Thucydides in translation.
Original post by marz11
Can you not do that via UCAS? I haven’t started applying to universities yet

They all seem to use the same course code so maybe not? I imagine they will provide information once you apply.
Reply 17
They all seem to use the same course code so maybe not? I imagine they will provide information once you apply.

Yes I think so too. Thanks so much for your help
Reply 18
Original post by Trinculo
I'm in love with the idea that KPMG or BAe Systems are really concerned that your degree title implies that you have only read Thucydides in translation.

wdym
Reply 19
Original post by marz11
wdym

The only "employer" who is going to care whether or not you read Classics or Classical Civ is the very tiny minority of employers who would be taking you on directly for the art of it - museums or academia basically. And under those circumstances the thing that will matter is whether or not you actually can read Latin or Greek - not whether the title of your degree implies you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending