The Student Room Group

Should I do an additional gcse as a year 12 student?

So basically, my sixth form offers a subject that my college didn't. The subject is Ancient Greek. I am Greek and fluently speak modern Greek with a grade 9 in the gcse, so it should hopefully not be too tricky. The reason for wanting to do it, apart from the fact that it ties nicely with one of a levels (classical civilizations ) and also archaeology that I am interested in, I also want to make up for one other gcse (unrelated) that my grade is not exactly praise worthy. And also I have always wanted to learn ancient Greek. My end goal is university, and my dream would be Cambridge. What do you advise? Would it be too much with three a levels, a core maths course and an EPQ?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
What subject/(s) are you looking to do at university?
Reply 2
Original post by KWad
What subject/(s) are you looking to do at university?

Either archaeology or creative writing (I know, not that related...)
Original post by RV123455
Either archaeology or creative writing (I know, not that related...)

Cambridge doesn't have a Creative Writing course. Ancient Greek is useful for Classics, less so for Archaeology. I know 2 people who did a GCSE alongside their A-Levels. 2 people I know did Latin at lunchtime, and one did fine (4 A*s at A-Level) but another did fine but their A-Levels suffered a bit. I think they still ended up at like UCL or something (the first guy ended up at Oxford but he hasn't had anything less than an A in his life, anyhow). The second one whose A-Levels suffered a bit did it because they wanted to do Classics at university. So, if you want to do something like Classical Archaeology then sure, as long as you aren't going to take too much time away from your main subjects which should be your priority. Maybe you can go to the classes for a bit before you decide? What other subjects are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by Sandtrooper
Cambridge doesn't have a Creative Writing course. Ancient Greek is useful for Classics, less so for Archaeology. I know 2 people who did a GCSE alongside their A-Levels. 2 people I know did Latin at lunchtime, and one did fine (4 A*s at A-Level) but another did fine but their A-Levels suffered a bit. I think they still ended up at like UCL or something (the first guy ended up at Oxford but he hasn't had anything less than an A in his life, anyhow). The second one whose A-Levels suffered a bit did it because they wanted to do Classics at university. So, if you want to do something like Classical Archaeology then sure, as long as you aren't going to take too much time away from your main subjects which should be your priority. Maybe you can go to the classes for a bit before you decide? What other subjects are you doing?

Thank you for your advice. I am currently studying Classics, English Language and Environmental Science. As for the creative writing, I know Cambridge doesn't offer it, I see it more as a plan B, in a different university.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending