The Student Room Group

Medicine with bad A levels

I've just finished my second year of BSc Biomed with a grade average 78%. I want to do medicine, it's been my goal for years but I didn't feel ready yet at 17 when I was considering my future.
I also got bad A levels, A in psychology, but B in biology and C in chemistry. I was predicted A*AB but was the first covid year 13 group and got really screwed over. I never even got a C in the whole two years of my A levels, I don't know why that was my final grade but I asked for an adjustment and my school refused.

I don't really know where to apply or what to do. I know some GEM courses don't care about A levels, but I'm also considering taking a bit of time out to work and then go into a standard entry course. Even then, most standard entry courses want ABB and don't accept resits. I feel hopeless. I have several months experience as an HCA in the emergency department of the Royal Sussex County Hospital and volunteer with a mental health charity but don't have any shadowing experience and I just can't seem to get any responses when I ask.

What can I do with A levels like these? I feel so dejected that even getting just a B in chemistry would mean I could get into standard 5-year courses with my degree.
Is my only option grad-entry? Even then, it's so competitive. I'm miserable about the thought of never getting into medicine. Please help me!
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Hey, I’m currently in the same boat as you…probably worse tbh! I’ve just finished my second year of biomed (physiology) and my overall second year grade wasn’t amazing. I hope I’m still on track for a 2:1, I’d be devastated if I didn’t because that’s the minimum entry for every uni pretty much. My A-Levels were also good (A in bio and A in englisg) but I got a C in chem :/

I’d love to connect with you, it’s good to see someone who is in the same sort of situation as me. I’m currently doing work placement in a Psychiatric hospital and I’ve had a lot of advice and reassurance related to me wanting to GEM.
Original post by Elsatrish1
Hey, I’m currently in the same boat as you…probably worse tbh! I’ve just finished my second year of biomed (physiology) and my overall second year grade wasn’t amazing. I hope I’m still on track for a 2:1, I’d be devastated if I didn’t because that’s the minimum entry for every uni pretty much. My A-Levels were also good (A in bio and A in englisg) but I got a C in chem :/

I’d love to connect with you, it’s good to see someone who is in the same sort of situation as me. I’m currently doing work placement in a Psychiatric hospital and I’ve had a lot of advice and reassurance related to me wanting to GEM.

Hey, I'm kind of in a similar situation however I am in my final year (about to graduate) and I did not do too great in my A levels. I'd like to connect with you. I think I need to create a supportive community because so far I have just been winging it.
Reply 4
Original post by gogetter8991
Hey, I'm kind of in a similar situation however I am in my final year (about to graduate) and I did not do too great in my A levels. I'd like to connect with you. I think I need to create a supportive community because so far I have just been winging it.

yes i would love too! have you got any other social media? or you can private message me if you feel more comfortable!
yes i would love too! have you got any other social media? or you can private message me if you feel more comfortable!

I will try to private message you. I have never really posted anything on the student room so still learning to use it lool.

Is there another way to contact you that is safe and that you are comfortable with? I tried to send a private message but it won't allow me (I think I need to be more active on here first).
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by gogetter8991
I will try to private message you. I have never really posted anything on the student room so still learning to use it lool.

Is there another way to contact you that is safe and that you are comfortable with? I tried to send a private message but it won't allow me (I think I need to be more active on here first).

i’ve tried to send a message now, also my first time sending a message lmao. lmk if you see it if not i’m not really bothered about exposing my sc.
i’ve tried to send a message now, also my first time sending a message lmao. lmk if you see it if not i’m not really bothered about exposing my sc.

I saw your message but TSR won't let me reply yet. I don't have SC anymore, I have Insta but I don't want to put it on here lol. When I am able to DM I will message you. Good luck on your journey!
Reply 8
hi, i'm in the same boat as both of you (ABCC in a-levels since I never got to sit them 😭) and currently panicking
Original post by laya.jpeg
hi, i'm in the same boat as both of you (ABCC in a-levels since I never got to sit them 😭) and currently panicking

Hey, what are you planning to do? and are you currently completing a degree?
Original post by laya.jpeg

though mine aren’t horrific (AAC), i wish i’d have gotten a B in chemistry to match my As in bio and english lang lit combined. it’s so annoying and stressful that even as grads they’re still asking about them :///
(edited 8 months ago)
though mine aren’t horrific (AAC), i wish i’d have gotten a B in chemistry to match my As in bio and english lang lit combined. it’s so annoying and stressful that even as grads they’re still asking about them :///

I understand. It might be worth reaching out to specific universities as your A level grades were decent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending