The Student Room Group

Proof of separation/marital status - when separated but never married

My son starts Uni in two weeks - I recently separated from his father, we were never married. I completed and uploaded the 'marital status' form along with a copy of my council tax bill showing the 25% single occupancy discount.

Student finance have emailed today saying that they "can't accept this as evidence of your marital status" with a list of what I could submit (ironically this includes "council tax bill showing 25% single occupancy discount"...SO frustrating!).

Has anyone had any experience/success with any other forms of evidence? I can't provide a decree nisi etc as we were never married, there is only two weeks before he starts and other than send exactly the same information I'm not sure what else I can do!
Original post by TheNextBexThing
My son starts Uni in two weeks - I recently separated from his father, we were never married. I completed and uploaded the 'marital status' form along with a copy of my council tax bill showing the 25% single occupancy discount.

Student finance have emailed today saying that they "can't accept this as evidence of your marital status" with a list of what I could submit (ironically this includes "council tax bill showing 25% single occupancy discount"...SO frustrating!).

Has anyone had any experience/success with any other forms of evidence? I can't provide a decree nisi etc as we were never married, there is only two weeks before he starts and other than send exactly the same information I'm not sure what else I can do!

Hi there,

Does the council tax bill show the 25% single person discount on it as that's perhaps the reason it's not been accepted. It needs to state this exactly. If you don't have this we can accept a mortgage statement or tenancy agreement in your name only and two bills in your name only dated within the last 6 months. The evidence does take 6 weeks to process as a general timescale. If you have none of this evidence you need to explain this on the marital form so this can be reassessed. If he is paid the lower amount before the form is completed then once the form is processed he'd be backdated any monies owed to him 3-5 working days after its updated. Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

Does the council tax bill show the 25% single person discount on it as that's perhaps the reason it's not been accepted. It needs to state this exactly. If you don't have this we can accept a mortgage statement or tenancy agreement in your name only and two bills in your name only dated within the last 6 months. The evidence does take 6 weeks to process as a general timescale. If you have none of this evidence you need to explain this on the marital form so this can be reassessed. If he is paid the lower amount before the form is completed then once the form is processed he'd be backdated any monies owed to him 3-5 working days after its updated. Thanks, Jason

Hi & thanks for replying.. I finally got through to Student Finance - the 25% discount Council Tax proof was fine, but the form I completed (which was the actual form I was sent on the email from Student Finance, which I downloaded, completed, scanned & uploaded..) was the 20/21 version and for some reason that translated as a "computer says no - we can't accept the evidence" response, which incorrectly stated that my 'tax' form could not be accepted! I now have the 23/24 form and am completing it and uploading it, apparently the council tax evidence I have already uploaded will suffice (I could also upload my tenancy agreement in my name and bills etc but the advisor said that the CT evidence is all I need).

My son is under the impression that if he accepts/registers the loan offer for the current lower amount he is being offered then it is "set in stone" and he won't then get the correct amount even once the correct form has been processed - presumably from what you have said above that is not the case?

I am very concered as this is a Student Finance England **** up but the consequences are potentially dire... I am in so much debt and struggling financially so with the best will in the world I can't afford to give him any money and have no way of borrowing any more from anywhere. I'm incredibly proud of him - despite rather than because of his background he has got a place at a red brick Uni doing a very academically challenging course - but if this SFE mistake means he can't start Uni or can't support himself at Uni it will be devastating (& unfortunately his Dad does not support him going to Uni either in principle or financially so we're on our own here!).

I guess I just upload the now correct form and hope for the best!? The key question I have is it whether it is safe for him to accept the lower amount and be certain that once the correct form has been processed it will be updated/backdated? If that is the case and that is standard procedure then hopefully it will mean he can start when he is supposed to.. Thank you!
Original post by TheNextBexThing
Hi & thanks for replying.. I finally got through to Student Finance - the 25% discount Council Tax proof was fine, but the form I completed (which was the actual form I was sent on the email from Student Finance, which I downloaded, completed, scanned & uploaded..) was the 20/21 version and for some reason that translated as a "computer says no - we can't accept the evidence" response, which incorrectly stated that my 'tax' form could not be accepted! I now have the 23/24 form and am completing it and uploading it, apparently the council tax evidence I have already uploaded will suffice (I could also upload my tenancy agreement in my name and bills etc but the advisor said that the CT evidence is all I need).

My son is under the impression that if he accepts/registers the loan offer for the current lower amount he is being offered then it is "set in stone" and he won't then get the correct amount even once the correct form has been processed - presumably from what you have said above that is not the case?

I am very concered as this is a Student Finance England **** up but the consequences are potentially dire... I am in so much debt and struggling financially so with the best will in the world I can't afford to give him any money and have no way of borrowing any more from anywhere. I'm incredibly proud of him - despite rather than because of his background he has got a place at a red brick Uni doing a very academically challenging course - but if this SFE mistake means he can't start Uni or can't support himself at Uni it will be devastating (& unfortunately his Dad does not support him going to Uni either in principle or financially so we're on our own here!).

I guess I just upload the now correct form and hope for the best!? The key question I have is it whether it is safe for him to accept the lower amount and be certain that once the correct form has been processed it will be updated/backdated? If that is the case and that is standard procedure then hopefully it will mean he can start when he is supposed to.. Thank you!

Hi there, Please be rest assured your son can accept the current amount offered as once we process the form required along with the evidence we will reassess his application for the higher amount of funding. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending