The Student Room Group

Are complex passwords in a foreign language harder to guess and crack compared to the

I was just curious on what people's opinion is regarding whether complex passwords in a foreign language are harder to guess and crack compared to their English equivalent?

For example, do you think that Hec0m!d0p@n@l@[email protected]! is harder to crack than I@tebre@[email protected].!

Or even without so many complex characters do you think that Hecomidopanalas8am! is harder to crack than Iatebreadat8a.m.! ?
Hey, Cybersecurity Analyst here! I dont think the language affects the difficulty in cracking the password as generally the alphabet would be the same/very similar (unless you're using Russian or Arabic but I'm not sure that would work with the different characters that we don't have), but as long as you're meeting the following requirements for all your passwords and using different passwords everywhere, changing them regularly and never sharing them, you should be fine: Make sure all your passwords have a minimum length of 8-12 characters (but I do 16-19), and a mix of upper and lower case characters, numbers, and symbols, and are not on any 'common passwords' lists. Make sure your password is also not easily guessable - e.g. your birthday, address, name, username, etc and don't write it down anywhere, but do make it memorable for yourself. If you feel you'll struggle to remember lots of different secure passwords then by all means use a reliable password manager, but please use an extra secure password for that. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending