The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Biology with spanish for science, Imperial

Hello, I have applied to study Biological sciences with Spanish for science at Imperial College. I was just wondering if there was anyone that has done this degree ( or is on it now ) that could just give a little explanation of it. What are the language classes like? What sorts of modules do you cover in Spanish?
Thank you!
Hi! I'm Maya, I'm a student rep from Imperial and I've just graduated from the Biological Sciences course. I didn't do one of the Language for Science courses unfortunately, but I have some knowledge of the degree streams.

So in Years 1 and 2, you will receive four hours per week of face-to-face tuition in Spanish and related topics, and there may also be regular one-to-one tutorials with the language coordinator. Then in Year 3, you spend a year abroad at a Spanish-speaking university and you will attend lectures and conduct a research project. I believe you also have to submit a written report about the culture of your host country in your chosen language, but I may be mistaken and I would need to double check that.

From what I've heard, the language classes are fairly standard. Lots of Imperial students take Horizons language modules as extracurriculars (which include two hours of classes per week), and these classes are compulsory for Language for Science students. They also take an additional two hours of language classes every week, which I believe are specific to the Language for Science students. According to the course page, there is also a Spanish History and Politics module, though I'm not certain if this is included in the four hours of lessons or if it is an additional time commitment unfortunately. I personally had a really good experience with language lessons at Imperial (I took Japanese as an extracurricular for three years).

One thing worth bearing in mind though is the added time commitment. You will have four hours of extra teaching hours per week compared to other Biological Sciences students, plus the homework associated with these classes, so time management is really key.

Hope that helps!

Maya :h:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Imperial students
Hi! I'm Maya, I'm a student rep from Imperial and I've just graduated from the Biological Sciences course. I didn't do one of the Language for Science courses unfortunately, but I have some knowledge of the degree streams.

So in Years 1 and 2, you will receive four hours per week of face-to-face tuition in Spanish and related topics, and there may also be regular one-to-one tutorials with the language coordinator. Then in Year 3, you spend a year abroad at a Spanish-speaking university and you will attend lectures and conduct a research project. I believe you also have to submit a written report about the culture of your host country in your chosen language, but I may be mistaken and I would need to double check that.

From what I've heard, the language classes are fairly standard. Lots of Imperial students take Horizons language modules as extracurriculars (which include two hours of classes per week), and these classes are compulsory for Language for Science students. They also take an additional two hours of language classes every week, which I believe are specific to the Language for Science students. According to the course page, there is also a Spanish History and Politics module, though I'm not certain if this is included in the four hours of lessons or if it is an additional time commitment unfortunately. I personally had a really good experience with language lessons at Imperial (I took Japanese as an extracurricular for three years).

One thing worth bearing in mind though is the added time commitment. You will have four hours of extra teaching hours per week compared to other Biological Sciences students, plus the homework associated with these classes, so time management is really key.

Hope that helps!

Thank you!!
Hi there, I was wondering what the Spanish element of the interview for a science with Spanish contains, i.e is it mostly speaking in Spanish or do they also ask questions in English about why you like Spanish etc.
Original post by NobleTigerFrog
Hi there, I was wondering what the Spanish element of the interview for a science with Spanish contains, i.e is it mostly speaking in Spanish or do they also ask questions in English about why you like Spanish etc.

Hi! There are no interviews for the Biological Sciences degree.

(edited 2 years ago)
I was more thinking of applying to chemistry with Spanish, do you by any chance know about the Spanish interview for that course? Thanks
Original post by NobleTigerFrog
I was more thinking of applying to chemistry with Spanish, do you by any chance know about the Spanish interview for that course? Thanks

Ah I see! Unfortunately, I am not a Language for Science student so I am not personally familiar with the interview format.

Reply 7
i do not understand the course requirements for this as it states it is not suitable for near native speakers but the course is in a foreign language and there is study abroad ????
Original post by selondonman
i do not understand the course requirements for this as it states it is not suitable for near native speakers but the course is in a foreign language and there is study abroad ????

what do you mean you don't understand?? it is for non-native speakers who want to learn the foreign language
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #1
what do you mean you don't understand?? it is for non-native speakers who want to learn the foreign language

they require at least a c in the chosen language at A level. it doesn't not look like a degree to learn a foreign language but to learn technical language. How could you effectively got o a foreign uni to leant a technical subject if you are not proficient in the language. THAT IS WHAT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND
Original post by selondonman
they require at least a c in the chosen language at A level. it doesn't not look like a degree to learn a foreign language but to learn technical language. How could you effectively got o a foreign uni to leant a technical subject if you are not proficient in the language. THAT IS WHAT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND

you take language classes to prep for the year abroad before you go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending