The Student Room Group

Should children be forced to take RE for gcse?

Post answers respectfully

Scroll to see replies

no
i had to take it and didn't really enjoy the subject, i'm not religious and i don't like essay writing- however RE is compulsory until KS5 anyway so it makes sense to do the GCSE and get something out of it. it's also not massively difficult as essay writing skills transfer from english etc and there's not masses of content- i don't see the harm in having an extra gcse tbh but i dont think it should be forced if someone's already struggling with workload as obviously english/maths etc are more important

tldr i don't have much of an opinion
(edited 2 years ago)
It wasn't compulsory at my school and not doing RE hasn't affected my life so far so no. I'm more of a science person anyways essay subjects aren't my thing.
No. In the grand scheme of things, the GCSE RE curriculum is too shallow to really have any meaningful impact on anybody, bar from the exams.
No.
RE, PE, sports studies, music and foreign languages should all be optional to study at gcse.
Original post by londonmyst
No.
RE, PE, sports studies, music and foreign languages should all be optional to study at gcse.

@Reality Check (my son) is choosing his gcse options soon I am totally not going to force him to do any subjects:colone:
no, i dont think it's necessary
I think its important to know about other religions espescially in the uk where so much misinformation gets spread.
but i think they should change the exam style though or just make it like PE where we have to do the work without doing an exam or being graded.
i understand other peoples povs why should they learn about something they dont even believe in, but i think it helps break down social barriers and again prevents misinformation that could lead to more serious things like racism and violence
Original post by nikkiblonsky
@Reality Check (my son) is choosing his gcse options soon I am totally not going to force him to do any subjects:colone:

Mum....this is like super embarrassing....
Original post by Reality Check
Mum....this is like super embarrassing....

(slaps you across the head) oh hush im just trying to make small talk with the other adults, oh look isnt that your friend over their? Lets go say hello!
I did RE at high school before GCSE’s. It wasn’t an interesting or useful subject so it would also be a no from me.
yes it is the most important of all school subjects :yep:
Original post by the bear
yes it is the most important of all school subjects :yep:

explain your reasoning for this (12)

you may use
quotes to support your arguments
religious teachings
your use of english will be assessed as well
Given that kids aren't forced to take a MFL or something like history for GCSEs, then a niche subject like Religious Studies certainly shouldn't be mandated. We don't force religion down people's throats like this in the UK, thank goodness.
no, if people want to learn about it then they should take it. otherwise i don't see the point of forcing it onto everybody who isn't willing to learn it. i don't really know how the stuff i'm learning in RE will help me in the future.
Original post by Lars360
Post answers respectfully

Yes, i think some subjects should be mandatory. My list would be:

maths, english, 1 foreign language, history, RE, science, physical education.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by londonmyst
No.

No subject should be compulsory apart from maths, science and English lang/lit
Original post by nikkiblonsky
explain your reasoning for this (12)

you may use
quotes to support your arguments
religious teachings
your use of english will be assessed as well

other subjects can help you earn money for maybe 50 years... but Religion can save your soul for all Eternity, which is a lot longer :yep:
Original post by the bear
other subjects can help you earn money for maybe 50 years... but Religion can save your soul for all Eternity, which is a lot longer :yep:

What if the student is ginger?

Quick Reply

Latest