The Student Room Group

I'm hoping to study mental health nursing in 2024/2025. Is it OK to mention my own me

I'm hoping to study mental health nursing in 2024/2025. Is it OK to mention my own mental health and what I learnt from this and why it would make me a good nurse?

Also, it's the reason I want to become a nurse.
Original post by KeziaF
I'm hoping to study mental health nursing in 2024/2025. Is it OK to mention my own mental health and what I learnt from this and why it would make me a good nurse?

Also, it's the reason I want to become a nurse.

Hi @KeziaF

That's great that you want to study mental health nursing!

Is this for your personal statement?

I think a great personal statement is one that is true the person writing it and one that appears genuine - so that it sounds like the student is speaking the statement to the university. As you've mentioned, your own mental health has been a part of your journey to study nursing, so I think it could be a good idea to include something about your own experience.
However, please be careful to only write what you're comfortable including and be careful not to cause any stress or difficulty to yourself. Maybe you could think about how your own experience has inspired you to study nursing? Or how you feel your experiences with your own health makes you understanding towards the subject?

I think you sound like you have a good idea of what to include, but remember to only write what you're comfortable with. I hope this helps and best of luck with your application!

Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @KeziaF

I think a great personal statement is one that is true the person writing it and one that appears genuine - so that it sounds like the student is speaking the statement to the university. As you've mentioned, your own mental health has been a part of your journey to study nursing, so I think it could be a good idea to include something about your own experience.
However, please be careful to only write what you're comfortable including and be careful not to cause any stress or difficulty to yourself. Maybe you could think about how your own experience has inspired you to study nursing? Or how you feel your experiences with your own health makes you understanding towards the subject?

I think you sound like you have a good idea of what to include, but remember to only write what you're comfortable with. I hope this helps and best of luck with your application!

Emily

Thank you!

This is for my personal statement.

Thank you, but I'm open about it. I won't mention anything too triggering. As long as it won't go against me.

This year I am doing the Access course and I will be starting voluntary once my Provisional has come back and we have sent off for my DBS. Should I mention this voluntary training, or leave it out because I have not yet started?

Thank you, for replying.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by KeziaF
Thank you!

This is for my personal statement.

Thank you, but I'm open about it. I won't mention anything too triggering. As long as it won't go against me.

This year I am doing the Access course and I will be starting voluntary once my Provisional has come back and we have sent off for my DBS. Should I mention this voluntary training, or leave it out because I have not yet started?

Thank you, for replying.

No problem at all @KeziaF ! Just wanted to make sure you were okay with it all.

You could maybe include something about how you're going to start your training, as it shows how you're continuing to engage with the subject. And it might also be worth including what you would like to work towards in the future to show some forward thinking.

But otherwise I think you'll have a great personal statement coming together!

Emily
Reply 4
No problem at all @KeziaF ! Just wanted to make sure you were okay with it all.

You could maybe include something about how you're going to start your training, as it shows how you're continuing to engage with the subject. And it might also be worth including what you would like to work towards in the future to show some forward thinking.

But otherwise I think you'll have a great personal statement coming together!

Emily

Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Hi @KeziaF

Emily

Absolutely, it's not just okay but actually a unique and compelling angle to explore in your application for mental health nursing! Sharing your personal experience with mental health can demonstrate your empathy, resilience, and a deep understanding of the challenges individuals facing mental health issues may encounter. It can also showcase your commitment to breaking down stigmas surrounding mental health, which is a crucial aspect of this field. Just remember to frame it as a story of growth, highlighting how your journey has equipped you with the qualities and insights that will make you an empathetic and effective mental health nurse. Your personal experience can truly set you apart and make your application stand out. Good luck with your pursuit of mental health nursing in 2024/2025!
Reply 6
Original post by nursedepo
Absolutely, it's not just okay but actually a unique and compelling angle to explore in your application for mental health nursing! Sharing your personal experience with mental health can demonstrate your empathy, resilience, and a deep understanding of the challenges individuals facing mental health issues may encounter. It can also showcase your commitment to breaking down stigmas surrounding mental health, which is a crucial aspect of this field. Just remember to frame it as a story of growth, highlighting how your journey has equipped you with the qualities and insights that will make you an empathetic and effective mental health nurse. Your personal experience can truly set you apart and make your application stand out. Good luck with your pursuit of mental health nursing in 2024/2025!

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending