The Student Room Group

Can someone help

Hi I wanna apply for UoM mpharm course (pharmacy) and I’ve just checked the uni entry requirements says I need for a level chemistry and either biology or maths I prefer biology just find maths and physics hard and I am and have been struggling on what third a level subject to pick Manchester says in their entry requirements you need an academic rigorous subject can someone explain in detail what exactly does that mean and what are subject examples because for third subject was going to choose subjects like economics or psychology but first need to know if allow it from what a rigorous academic subject is and what are examples of them etc???
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Hey! It's a long time since I did my A-Levels, but in general I would say that "academically rigorous" means a traditional subject like the three sciences, maths, a language, history, economics and so on, rather than subjects perceived as soft, like media studies, tourism and applied science. This page from the LSE probably gives a good steer. I would avoid both the "non-preferred" and the "excluded" subjects. Note that both economics and psychology are a preferred subject!

I would encourage you to think about which third subject you would enjoy, and what you would get out of it that you could write about in your application. Psychology has an obvious link to pharmacy; on the other hand, economics would encourage you to think in a different way to how you would in the natural sciences, so that could also be a good choice in terms of showing that you have a well-rounded intellect.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest