The Student Room Group

Advice pls

So im a year 13 private resit student, looking to apply for dentistry next year.

Ive looked into the unis that allow resits here and thats all good, but dentistry isnt what i initially planned to go into and so all the preparation for the application and everything is pretty last minute, im also now thinking if its even worth thinking about dentistry anymore since i almost completely forgot about the ucat exam and the latest date i can find for it is in 2 days, i did sit it last year aswell but thats not gonna be valid anymore, and now im thinking is if its even worth booking it since theres only 2 days for revision. i can pull allnighters and do as much revision as possible but then id be risking falling asleep while doing the exam which is something id like to avoid.

i am very disorganised i know but there's just so much going on at the moment that my heads stopped functioning properly. i also am unsure of how im gonna get my references for the ucas application however that shouldnt be much of a problem since i can probably email my previous college for it.

But any advice on what i should do will be VERY appreciated as im very confused and overwhelmed right now as to what steps i should take.
All-nighters sound alright but you are absolutely bang-on when you say there is a risk of falling asleep. So I'd say to attempt UCAT in the next available date (not the one in 2 days). If the date is too late for your UCAS application, maybe try other options like degree apprenticeship? I don't know anything about dentistry, so I don't know if I was being a little stupid suggesting that. You can try degree apprenticeship, if you like and if any unis offer it, unless even those require UCAT.

If you come to a dead stop, maybe try taking a gap year doing some work experience related to dentistry and/or try some online foundation courses dentistry in the mean time. You could also explain in your ps how you used your gap year productively.

Hope that helps! :smile:

PS. They are all my suggestions and opinions
Reply 2
Original post by curiosity_20
All-nighters sound alright but you are absolutely bang-on when you say there is a risk of falling asleep. So I'd say to attempt UCAT in the next available date (not the one in 2 days). If the date is too late for your UCAS application, maybe try other options like degree apprenticeship? I don't know anything about dentistry, so I don't know if I was being a little stupid suggesting that. You can try degree apprenticeship, if you like and if any unis offer it, unless even those require UCAT.

If you come to a dead stop, maybe try taking a gap year doing some work experience related to dentistry and/or try some online foundation courses dentistry in the mean time. You could also explain in your ps how you used your gap year productively.

Hope that helps! :smile:

PS. They are all my suggestions and opinions

Thank you for your suggestions!! i did actually find a later date for my UCAT, its on the 26th so just a week from now which is still less but atleast ill have a better chance of doing decently. Degree apprenticeships is defo something im considering, unfortunately there's none in dentistry, but im still looking out for other ones that may pop up later on that interest me.
Reply 3
Original post by F.A.
So im a year 13 private resit student, looking to apply for dentistry next year.

Ive looked into the unis that allow resits here and thats all good, but dentistry isnt what i initially planned to go into and so all the preparation for the application and everything is pretty last minute, im also now thinking if its even worth thinking about dentistry anymore since i almost completely forgot about the ucat exam and the latest date i can find for it is in 2 days, i did sit it last year aswell but thats not gonna be valid anymore, and now im thinking is if its even worth booking it since theres only 2 days for revision. i can pull allnighters and do as much revision as possible but then id be risking falling asleep while doing the exam which is something id like to avoid.

i am very disorganised i know but there's just so much going on at the moment that my heads stopped functioning properly. i also am unsure of how im gonna get my references for the ucas application however that shouldnt be much of a problem since i can probably email my previous college for it.

But any advice on what i should do will be VERY appreciated as im very confused and overwhelmed right now as to what steps i should take.

what unis you a applying to ?
Reply 4
Original post by asmaa.rmy
what unis you a applying to ?

Rn i've decided Kings, and Queen mary because they allow resit students, and for my other three options im considering whether i should apply to other unis for dentistry or a different course.

Quick Reply

Latest