The Student Room Group

Masters or Bachelors course ?

Hello All, I am applying for maths and computer science at Oxford.wanting to know your views whether to opt for bachelors or masters on the UCAS form and how easy is it to switch if needed at a later date pls.
Any advice pls, thanks
I think it's pretty standard for most to do the MMath (MSci?) and usually you only supplicate for the bachelors later if you have a specific reason not to continue to the masters year (or you don't get the required results to continue to the masters year).

If you're a home student it's generally less complex to start on the longer course and swap to the shorter one later, from a SFE perspective.

Conversely I understand for international students, it's easier to manage the visa length requirements by starting on the shorter course then switching to the longer one.

Assuming you're a home student I would suggest applying to the MMath/MSci - it won't affect your chances of an offer whichever one you put at Oxford.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply, I am a home student.
I just wanted to keep my options open and was unsure if the switch was possible at a later date.
Specifically to start bachelors and then if interested extend to masters or register for Masters to start with and cut short to bachelors degree is what I wanted to know

Quick Reply

Latest