The Student Room Group

I don't know if i can make it to medicine or pharmacology lol

I currently do Biology, Psychology and English Literature A level.
I don't think that's a strong set of subjects to apply to university for medicine specifically, but Universities such as Leicester allow Biology and Psychology to do medicine. My parents are disappointed in my GCSE results since it's what we both didn't expect, and I didn't meet the expectations for most universities GCSE standards. I don't know if universities consider GCSE a very important factor, even if I get A*s in my A levels.

Any help is really appreciated, thank you!!
Original post by v27_strawberry
I don't think that's a strong set of subjects to apply to university for medicine specifically, but Universities such as Leicester allow Biology and Psychology to do medicine. My parents are disappointed in my GCSE results since it's what we both didn't expect, and I didn't meet the expectations for most universities GCSE standards. I don't know if universities consider GCSE a very important factor, even if I get A*s in my A levels.

Just out of interest, why didn't you picked chemistry? It's a key subject in medicine and pharmacology.

Pharmacology is not the same as pharmacy, I would just point out. Since you are comparing it to medicine, it seems a bit odd perhaps as it's not a healthcare professions courses.

Pharmacology is to pharmacy as biomedical sciences is to medicine.

As above chemistry is a very common requirement for all of those courses though (particularly pharmacology and pharmacy). While not all medicine courses require A-level Chemistry, the vast majority require a two STEM subjects (out of biology/chemistry/maths/physics - often biology is required if chemistry isn't) which you don't meet.

With your combination there are 10 medical schools you could possibly apply to: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

Note that if you meet the A-level subject requirements they don't care what your other subjects are and won't "prefer" students doing all STEM subjects or similar - it's a tick box.

In terms of GCSEs, not all medical schools weigh GCSEs that heavily, and some only require minimum grades in GCSEs and thereafter do not score them. You'll need to look at the 10 medical schools you meet the requirements for and see how they score applicants - you can rule out the GCSE heavy ones if you don't have strong GCSEs, and focus on the others (although I'd note the others are likely to be UCAT heavy then).
I didn't get the grade to pick chemistry and even if I had, I would've struggled with it a lot lol

Original post by MindMax2000
Just out of interest, why didn't you picked chemistry? It's a key subject in medicine and pharmacology.
Original post by artful_lounger
Pharmacology is not the same as pharmacy, I would just point out. Since you are comparing it to medicine, it seems a bit odd perhaps as it's not a healthcare professions courses.

Pharmacology is to pharmacy as biomedical sciences is to medicine.

As above chemistry is a very common requirement for all of those courses though (particularly pharmacology and pharmacy). While not all medicine courses require A-level Chemistry, the vast majority require a two STEM subjects (out of biology/chemistry/maths/physics - often biology is required if chemistry isn't) which you don't meet.

With your combination there are 10 medical schools you could possibly apply to: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

Note that if you meet the A-level subject requirements they don't care what your other subjects are and won't "prefer" students doing all STEM subjects or similar - it's a tick box.

In terms of GCSEs, not all medical schools weigh GCSEs that heavily, and some only require minimum grades in GCSEs and thereafter do not score them. You'll need to look at the 10 medical schools you meet the requirements for and see how they score applicants - you can rule out the GCSE heavy ones if you don't have strong GCSEs, and focus on the others (although I'd note the others are likely to be UCAT heavy then).

Thank you so much, this helps so much !!! <33
I didn't get the grade to pick chemistry and even if I had, I would've struggled with it a lot lol

This might be a sign to avoid chemistry heavy courses; while medicine is probably less chemistry heavy than it may seem from what I've heard (at least at most medical schools), pharmacology and to some extent pharmacy are much more chemistry involved. So that might be something to consider also!
(Original post by artful_lounger)This might be a sign to avoid chemistry heavy courses; while medicine is probably less chemistry heavy than it may seem from what I've heard (at least at most medical schools), pharmacology and to some extent pharmacy are much more chemistry involved. So that might be something to consider also!

Ohhh, that's probably a good thing to consider, thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending