The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Travelling from London to University of Surrey

Hey! I've applied to surrey but was wondering whether it would be better to get accommodation than travel. I live in London and was wondering if any Surrey Students travel from london to surrey and could give me an approximate cost. Thanks!
Original post by M_Abdullah05
Hey! I've applied to surrey but was wondering whether it would be better to get accommodation than travel. I live in London and was wondering if any Surrey Students travel from london to surrey and could give me an approximate cost. Thanks!

Hello M_Abdullah05,

I can't personally speak on commuting however I currently live in University Accommodation and much prefer this over me having to commute like I had to for Sixth Form. I was also supported for my accommodation for this year thanks to the Disability and Neurodiversity team.

The University offers a wide range of accommodation from shared rooms to studio flats (Band F) to suit a wide range of budgets

You can find the webpage that contains information on the different types of accommodation here:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation, https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/our-accommodation

There are 7 main Bands of accommodation:
Shared (Stag Hill): Shared Room with Shared Bathroom and Kitchen
Band A (Hazel Farm): Single Room with Shared Bathroom and Kitchen
Band B (Hazel Farm): Single Room with Shared Bathroom and Kitchen
Band C (Stag Hill): Single Room with Shared Bathroom and Kitchen
Band D (Stag Hill/Manor Park): En-suite Room with Shared Kitchen
Band E (Manor Park): Premium En-suite Room with Shared Kitchen
Band F (Manor Park): Studio with Self-contained Bathroom and Kitchen

If you decide to live at Manor Park or Hazel Farm you will have to commute to come to get to the main university campus known as Stag Hill. Stag Hill is a only a 20 minute walk from Manor Park or you could alternatively do what I do which is to get the university shuttle bus and it takes under 10 minutes to get from Manor Park to Stag hill.

To get to Guildford there is a train station that has direct trains from London Waterloo to Guildford.

Hope this helps!
Imane
Second-Year Languages student
(edited 3 months ago)
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by M_Abdullah05

Hi,

I studied at Surrey for 2 years postgrad, and I commuted from north London. I paid nearly 5k total for the 2 years (I carpooled at one point during my first year year so it cut costs and I would take coach from Victoria to Guildford and back some days too where tickets were really cheap and I had time).

It cost £121 or something for a zone 1-6 to Guildford weekly travelcard and £460 for a month travelcard. A year travelcard cost around £4000.

A return journey from London to Guildford cost around £17 peak and around £12 off peak with a rail card.

I’d say it depends on your financial circumstances, how long your personal commute would take and how many days you’d have uni.

I personally commuted because I had family responsibilities and paying 8k a year for accommodation was too much for me on top of paying for tuition.

My commute was about an hour and a half each way (45 mins to get to Waterloo and then 30 mins fast train to Guildford and then 15 mins getting to campus). I had to go in every day in first year and then second year had placement. The commute was tiring but doable, and if you have other people on your course doing the same commute, it will make it feel much shorter.

If you want any more info, feel free to let me know! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending