The Student Room Group

Can I do a Msc Psychology conversion with a third class honours?

Hello everyone just need some advice
I am very interested in studying psychology as I would like to become an educational psychologist,
I've got a third class honours in another course about children and youth.
And plenty of experience working with children,does a third class degree get one anywhere?

Or would I have to start over?

Many thanks in advance for reading my message and would love some help.
Original post by Lady Jay
I am very interested in studying psychology as I would like to become an educational psychologist,
And plenty of experience working with children,does a third class degree get one anywhere?

You may need to search around a bit for courses that will accept a third. Many people take a MSc Psychology Conversion course because their undergraduate degree isn't a BPS-approved Psychology degree - meaning that can't gain entry to one of the HCPC-approved doctoral programmes necessary to practice as an Educational Psychologist in the UK (see the list of such programmes here).

Here are a couple of BPS-approved Psychology Conversion MSc courses which accept applicants with third-class degrees (there will be others - these are just to prove that some exist).

Psychology Conversion MSc at University of the Highlands and Islands (entry requirements: "An undergraduate honours degree in any subject").
Psychology (Conversion) at University of Roehampton (entry requirements: "Students must hold a Bachelor’s degree from a British University or equivalent as verified by NARIC).
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You may need to search around a bit for courses that will accept a third. Many people take a MSc Psychology Conversion course because their undergraduate degree isn't a BPS-approved Psychology degree - meaning that can't gain entry to one of the HCPC-approved doctoral programmes necessary to practice as an Educational Psychologist in the UK (see the list of such programmes here).

Here are a couple of BPS-approved Psychology Conversion MSc courses which accept applicants with third-class degrees (there will be others - these are just to prove that some exist).

Psychology Conversion MSc at University of the Highlands and Islands (entry requirements: "An undergraduate honours degree in any subject").
Psychology (Conversion) at University of Roehampton (entry requirements: "Students must hold a Bachelor’s degree from a British University or equivalent as verified by NARIC).

Thank you so much! This really helps.

Hi @Lady Jay,

At Roehampton, our MSc Psychology (Conversion) requires Students to hold a Bachelor’s degree from a British University or equivalent as verified by NARIC. This can be in any subject, but for students with first degrees in non-STEM subjects there is an additional requirement to hold a GCSE grade C (or 4) or equivalent in Maths. Students with a BPS accredited first degree in Psychology, who achieved below a second-class honours degree and therefore failed to qualify for GBC, may be admitted in consultation with the programme convener.

If you need some more information, head over to the website and scroll down to 'Need help before you apply?' to enquire. You can also call +44 (0)20 8392 3232 for UK prospective student enquiries.

We have a Postgraduate, Master's and Doctoral On-Campus Open Evening on Wednesday 7 February 2024, 15:00- 19:30, you can register here if you are interested!

A little information about this course:

Accredited by the British Psychological Society

Flexibility to study 1 year full time or 2 years part time.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Roehampton

@Lady Jay
Hi

I've just looked at the entry criteria for Arden University where I did my MSc conversion in Psychology, and it states, "Students that do not hold a UK (Hons) degree, or have a degree without honours will need to evidence independent research shown through, for example, a final year project dissertation or thesis. You may provide this evidence from masters level if your undergraduate degree didn’t include this."

The course is fully accredited by the BPS -there are blended and 100% online options

https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/postgraduate/masters/msc-psychology-bps

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest