The Student Room Group

Psychology or Law

I'm stuck between doing psychology or law at uni, I've always wanted to do law like pre lockdown/a levels I was obsessed with it, I went to debate clubs, model un, work experience, and politics club I loved it! but during lockdown, I became quite depressed and lost interest in everything I loved beforehand, when I joined sixth form in Sept 2020 I was still considering doing law may be no longer a dream but it was still a path I assumed I was always going to do. I chose politics, psychology and English lit at levels, I started hating politics and started loving psychology, it was like a newfound interest. But I'm still stuck between doing psychology for a degree or law (I'm taking a gap year ). I don't want everything I did beforehand to be a waste of time :frown: Plus I have no experience or anything that I've done to stand out for psychology, I just don't know what to do!
Hello! In the exact same position as you! I do psychology, politics and law at A level, and I am also torn between psychology and law at uni.
It might be a good idea to look at what you want to get out of each degree, ie, what do you want to do post-graduation? You could look at career prospects for each degree and see what appeals to you, you could also look at the modules you would be studying for each degree and which appeal to you more.
You could also draw up a pros and cons table for both degrees. Either way, if you took psychology, you could always do a GDL afterwards. Or if you did law, i believe there is also a psychology conversion course. Of course it would mean an extra year of study though.

Hopefully this helps?
(In terms of work experience, look at volunteering with the NSPCC, or the Samaritans)
You can become a lawyer (of either variety) with a psychology degree; you can't become a psychologist with a law degree.
As someone who did 1.5 years of a law degree and couldn’t not bear to continue (not because it’s hard, because it’s so deeply boring) - pick Psychology.

Pick anything. But think twice before picking law. It didn’t make me feel happy or angry. It made me feel nothing. And that’s far worse.

For reference, I thought I had a passion for law beforehand. But like the comment before mine says, you can be a lawyer without a law degree (employers usually recruit 50% law and 50% non-law students) but you need a psychology degree for psychology.

Either way, the core modules in law to qualify as a lawyer are the same (and they drain the life and soul out of every law student I’ve met) so why put up with three years of a boring degree instead of just adding a year to something you find interesting?

(I’m now applying for Psychology)
Original post by m1212m
I'm stuck between doing psychology or law at uni, I've always wanted to do law like pre lockdown/a levels I was obsessed with it, I went to debate clubs, model un, work experience, and politics club I loved it! but during lockdown, I became quite depressed and lost interest in everything I loved beforehand, when I joined sixth form in Sept 2020 I was still considering doing law may be no longer a dream but it was still a path I assumed I was always going to do. I chose politics, psychology and English lit at levels, I started hating politics and started loving psychology, it was like a newfound interest. But I'm still stuck between doing psychology for a degree or law (I'm taking a gap year ). I don't want everything I did beforehand to be a waste of time :frown: Plus I have no experience or anything that I've done to stand out for psychology, I just don't know what to do!
Hi! Firstly, the main advice I would give anyone deciding what to apply for at university is to pick something that you are going to enjoy, or at least enjoy the majority of the time. There is no point forcing yourself through a degree that is boring to you because it will take an awful toll on your mental health! If psychology has been more interesting for you to study then it would make sense to pick that degree.
Additionally, you don't need to stand out in order to apply for psychology. It is almost impossible to gain any relevant work experience prior to having a degree, so anything that you've already done will help your application appear more attractive as an overall student. What would boost your personal statement would be to mention any personal interests you have, such as a specific area of psychology or something you're really interested in!
Overall, you can do a lot of things with either degree. So you should make your decision based on what you'd be happier doing and what you think would be best for you as an individual!
-Kat (2nd year psychology student at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest