The Student Room Group

Sutton trust pathways or summer school?

Hello,

I am currently a year 12 student doing my A levels. I am thinking of applying for either the sutton trust pathways to banking and finance or their summer school?

Personally, I would wanna attend a top uni afterwards like lse, warwick maybe cambridge if I am successful.
I have read in the FAQ's that "You may only apply to either pathways or summer school programme".

I would really appreciate if anybody can give me tips on which one should I go with considering my uni aims. Whether it is better to attend a pathways or summer school as which one would be better to put in my personal statement for those top unis?

Any advice is really helpful!
Original post by Shubham9548
Hello,

I am currently a year 12 student doing my A levels. I am thinking of applying for either the sutton trust pathways to banking and finance or their summer school?

Personally, I would wanna attend a top uni afterwards like lse, warwick maybe cambridge if I am successful.
I have read in the FAQ's that "You may only apply to either pathways or summer school programme".

I would really appreciate if anybody can give me tips on which one should I go with considering my uni aims. Whether it is better to attend a pathways or summer school as which one would be better to put in my personal statement for those top unis?

Any advice is really helpful!

Hey! I have personally done the Sutton trust summer school and a Pathways to Bath course. It depends on what you want to get out from the course/ what you want to learn.
The Sutton trust summer school is good to get an overall experience of university life. I went to Edinburgh's and we had a uni tour, stayed in accommodation, had some lectures and seminars as well as activities throughout the week. We also got to see the campus and the city, which was great for me as I could get a feel for what it would be like at Edinburgh University.
The Pathway course I completed was online sessions over a few months where we completed an essay, based on the university curriculum. It was marked as an actual essay and we were given a reduced offer for the uni if we passed. We then stayed for a few days to get an experience in labs (I did a Bio course) and in lectures.
Either option is really great, but if you are really stuck, maybe you could apply for both and if you get accepted into both you could choose one or the other. The Sutton trust programmes are oversubscribed so they can be hard to get into, as a side note.Either way, they both give you experiences into degree options.
Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Pandasarecute65
Hey! I have personally done the Sutton trust summer school and a Pathways to Bath course. It depends on what you want to get out from the course/ what you want to learn.
The Sutton trust summer school is good to get an overall experience of university life. I went to Edinburgh's and we had a uni tour, stayed in accommodation, had some lectures and seminars as well as activities throughout the week. We also got to see the campus and the city, which was great for me as I could get a feel for what it would be like at Edinburgh University.
The Pathway course I completed was online sessions over a few months where we completed an essay, based on the university curriculum. It was marked as an actual essay and we were given a reduced offer for the uni if we passed. We then stayed for a few days to get an experience in labs (I did a Bio course) and in lectures.
Either option is really great, but if you are really stuck, maybe you could apply for both and if you get accepted into both you could choose one or the other. The Sutton trust programmes are oversubscribed so they can be hard to get into, as a side note.Either way, they both give you experiences into degree options.
Hope this helps! :smile:

So did you attend both the summer school and the pathways programme?
Original post by Shubham9548
So did you attend both the summer school and the pathways programme?

Yes I did, but maybe the pathway course you are applying to has different rules?
edit: I think I misunderstood your question! I applied to a pathway course that wasnt linked to the sutton trust. There are other pathway courses outside of the sutton trust that you could apply to. Maybe you could search around for one, even if it isn't with the specific uni you want, as it will give you an insight into the courses you want to take up?
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending