The Student Room Group

Help! I’m hungry

Hello, my doctor told me today that I have an autoimmune disease and that my food requirements now are:
- Gluten free
- Sugar free
- Dairy free
(-also halal!)

I’m struggling to find foods/takeaways that match the requirements above. Would really appreciate it if anyone had any food recommendations or absolutely anything to say!

Thank you in advance.

P.s I’m tired of eating the same thing :frown:
All rice is gluten free and pair with south asian curries- vegetarian for halal if you're ordering, but im sure the restaurant would be happy to confirm for if they offer halal dishes for you. If you're not one spice try dahl/ parrippu which are made up of lentils. Making these might require a few ingredients but it is quite simple to look up recipies. Again make sure to check before hand but these are from the top of my head of dishes that I like from my culture. Hope this helps!
oh before i forget there's a website called supercook- where you can enter all the ingredients, spices, seasonings you have and it'll be able to churn out recipies for you with them. it's completely free
Reply 3
Original post by coffee alert
All rice is gluten free and pair with south asian curries- vegetarian for halal if you're ordering, but im sure the restaurant would be happy to confirm for if they offer halal dishes for you. If you're not one spice try dahl/ parrippu which are made up of lentils. Making these might require a few ingredients but it is quite simple to look up recipies. Again make sure to check before hand but these are from the top of my head of dishes that I like from my culture. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your reply! It really means a lot to me 🥹
Will definitely check out these dishes!
Reply 4
Original post by coffee alert
oh before i forget there's a website called supercook- where you can enter all the ingredients, spices, seasonings you have and it'll be able to churn out recipies for you with them. it's completely free

Super helpful, thanks! Going to check out the website right now!! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Sazzysz7
Hello, my doctor told me today that I have an autoimmune disease and that my food requirements now are:
- Gluten free
- Sugar free
- Dairy free
(-also halal!)

I’m struggling to find foods/takeaways that match the requirements above. Would really appreciate it if anyone had any food recommendations or absolutely anything to say!

Thank you in advance.

P.s I’m tired of eating the same thing :frown:

Most places nowadays will offer some dish that is both dairy and gluten free, or can be made to be; although sometimes they're a bit small or disappointing depending on the place.

Spoiler

Generally cheaper (and easier and less stressful) to sort your own food out though!

When you say sugar free, does it include things like honey and maple syrup?

Carbs:
Rice, potatoes (make sure there's no butter or milk or cheese, and for fried forms (chips/fries) make sure there's no cross-contamination in the fryer from other gluten things frying)), quinoa, gluten free pasta, gluten free bread (make sure there's also no dairy, and check for added sugar). Oats special gluten free ones are available, depends how you are with oats. Polenta, etc.

Proteins, fats, fruit and veg:
As long as it's not dairy-based and it's not too processed, you should be fine. You can also get plant-based dairy alternatives, although sometimes these have sugar added so best to check.

For a meal: pick a carb, protein, fruit/veg, bit of fat, and maybe a sauce. For example:
Gluten free pasta + lentils + tinned tomatoes + onion, garlic, carrots, celery (and any other veg), cooked in a bit of olive oil
Rice, chicken/tofu/chickpea curry (use coconut milk/tinned tomatoes or whatever, plus a load of spices and onion, garlic, chilli, ginger, and some spinach or something)

For easy dairy-free mashed potatoes (feeds 1):
1. Wash and score/stab holes in a decent sized potato, then stick in the microwave for ~6/7 mins (turn halfway) plus maybe a bit longer until the potato is cooked all the way through, nice and soft.
2. Put the cooked potato in a bowl, cut it up a bit, and mash a bit with a fork. Add olive oil, or dairy-free butter, salt and pepper and any other seasonings, and some dairy-free milk (e.g. soya milk), keep mashing, add more liquid if needed, until you have your desired mash consistency

Lots of websites have a load of gluten and dairy free recipes available, and if you make something yourself you know what's in it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest