The Student Room Group

Switching universities after first year

Hi, I was thinking of switching universities after my first year of computer science, I've scoured the web far and wide, I've been in brief contact with universities also. I have a few questions, would having a high overall percentage first year i.e. 70%+ compensate for being a few grades below their entry requirements? When would be the most optimal time to apply to get references and such ready? Can I apply to multiple universities to start on their second year? How could I potentially adjust my personal statement if I am applying to multiple universities? and finally would reapplying for universities through UCAS mean I forfeit my place at my current university? This in particular causes a lot of uncertainty for me as if my applications are unsuccessful, what would happen? Sorry that I've packed this full of questions.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
'Switching Unis' is a bit of a myth. Most Unis will not be interested as it relies on you having done totally compatible units - and having the right A level grades as well as high results in the first year.

A better idea is to get used to being at the Uni where you are now, and just get on with the degree there.
Original post by McGinger
'Switching Unis' is a bit of a myth. Most Unis will not be interested as it relies on you having done totally compatible units - and having the right A level grades as well as high results in the first year.

A better idea is to get used to being at the Uni where you are now, and just get on with the degree there.

Thank you for the response, I was given the vague "as long as most of it lines up" and "decisions will be made on an individual basis", this sort of clears more things up.
It’s not unknown but given that CS is oversubscribed in many universities and that content often varies in year 1 it’s not something to pin your hopes on.

You get 5 UCAS choices - and usually universities that aren’t able to make an offer for year 2 entry will automatically consider you for year 1 entry. If you’re willing to consider restarting in year 1 then that’s not a bad option.

Transfers into 2nd year puts a lot of pressure on you if you are successful (results often count towards your degree classification straight away and even if your modules are a close enough match for a transfer there’s likely to be differences that are your responsibility to work out and catch up on).
Original post by Averagetsruser
I have a few questions, would having a high overall percentage first year i.e. 70%+ compensate for being a few grades below their entry requirements?

This is up to the policy of each incoming uni, for many it won't.
When would be the most optimal time to apply to get references and such ready?

Generally speaking a bit closer to the Jan deadline may be better as you may have an interim transcript and your ref will have more time to know you. You can nominate a ref from your previous college, but your incoming uni may insist on one from your current uni.

Can I apply to multiple universities to start on their second year?

Yes, up to 5 as per a standard UCAS application.

How could I potentially adjust my personal statement if I am applying to multiple universities?

You can't via UCAS. You can contact each uni and ask if they''ll accept a PS sent directly to them, but generally speaking you shouldn't need to do this if you are applying to 5 COMPSCI courses.

and finally would reapplying for universities through UCAS mean I forfeit my place at my current university?

Completely unrelated to your current place beyond asking them for a ref. You can wait and see what offers you get and then decide what you want to do, or just stay where you are.
Original post by Admit-One
This is up to the policy of each incoming uni, for many it won't.

Generally speaking a bit closer to the Jan deadline may be better as you may have an interim transcript and your ref will have more time to know you. You can nominate a ref from your previous college, but your incoming uni may insist on one from your current uni.

Yes, up to 5 as per a standard UCAS application.

You can't via UCAS. You can contact each uni and ask if they''ll accept a PS sent directly to them, but generally speaking you shouldn't need to do this if you are applying to 5 COMPSCI courses.

Completely unrelated to your current place beyond asking them for a ref. You can wait and see what offers you get and then decide what you want to do, or just stay where you are.

Thank you very much for the reply, I appreciate it greatly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending