The Student Room Group

urgent course advice needed - brutal advice

Ok so I am in a huge predicament. I am studying a sociology & social policy degree right now and I do really love policy but I feel like the course gets such a bad rep because of 'sociology' that I feel may not be respected by employers. And before ANYONE says, I have no interest in taking a degree that leads to a career (dentistry, accountancy, law etc..). I want to also change to a social science bsc because I'd have more access to placements and policy from the modules, but idk if that would be worse to take...

what should I do!!!
Original post by lushly
Ok so I am in a huge predicament. I am studying a sociology & social policy degree right now and I do really love policy but I feel like the course gets such a bad rep because of 'sociology' that I feel may not be respected by employers. And before ANYONE says, I have no interest in taking a degree that leads to a career (dentistry, accountancy, law etc..). I want to also change to a social science bsc because I'd have more access to placements and policy from the modules, but idk if that would be worse to take...

what should I do!!!

What year are you in? Does your current uni offer Social Science BSc? Have you spoken with anyone at the uni about switching, so see whether you'd need to drop back to first year? Or would you be planning to switch uni too? There are obviously funding issues (depending on what year you're in right now).
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What year are you in? Does your current uni offer Social Science BSc? Have you spoken with anyone at the uni about switching, so see whether you'd need to drop back to first year? Or would you be planning to switch uni too? There are obviously funding issues (depending on what year you're in right now).

oh whoops I completely clocked I didn't offer any background info haha. I'm in first year and I did talk to my tutor about switching; she said id be able to switch at the end of the year and continue onto second year since all social science degrees take the same core modules but differ in optional. I wouldn't plan to switch uni I quite like the one im in currently. All that aside, the main problem is which has a better rep....
Original post by lushly
oh whoops I completely clocked I didn't offer any background info haha. I'm in first year and I did talk to my tutor about switching; she said id be able to switch at the end of the year and continue onto second year since all social science degrees take the same core modules but differ in optional. I wouldn't plan to switch uni I quite like the one im in currently. All that aside, the main problem is which has a better rep....

Well, that sounds like the perfect sort of switch to me. Same uni. No repeat of year. No funding issues. So it's a straight "Should I do course A or course B?" question.

What made you opt for Sociology and Social Policy over Social Science in the first place?

You worry that a sociology course "may not be respected by employers." What sort of employers are you thinking of? (I don't want to ask about career ambitions, as you "have no interest in taking a degree that leads to a career". :wink:)
I think you're overestimating how many employers care about your degree name. Or perhaps even read it...
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Well, that sounds like the perfect sort of switch to me. Same uni. No repeat of year. No funding issues. So it's a straight "Should I do course A or course B?" question.

What made you opt for Sociology and Social Policy over Social Science in the first place?

You worry that a sociology course "may not be respected by employers." What sort of employers are you thinking of? (I don't want to ask about career ambitions, as you "have no interest in taking a degree that leads to a career". :wink:)

well even though I did just say that I didn't want a degree with an automatic career, I see myself taking a masters that will benefit my career and THEN lead into it. Considering all my current interests, this course seemed to be the most appropriate and after researching various masters degrees that I could take, each one either said 'no specific degree needed' or 'social science degree preferable such as economics, sociology or policy.' I guess I didn't take social science because I heard (ik don't believe everything you hear) is more general and I would find a hard time saying what it acc encapsulated, but now there are days where I think I should've taken it?
In terms of employers, they are primarily health, media or environmental
Original post by lushly
well even though I did just say that I didn't want a degree with an automatic career, I see myself taking a masters that will benefit my career and THEN lead into it. Considering all my current interests, this course seemed to be the most appropriate and after researching various masters degrees that I could take, each one either said 'no specific degree needed' or 'social science degree preferable such as economics, sociology or policy.' I guess I didn't take social science because I heard (ik don't believe everything you hear) is more general and I would find a hard time saying what it acc encapsulated, but now there are days where I think I should've taken it?
In terms of employers, they are primarily health, media or environmental

I should caveat this next response by saying that I am not a subject matter expert in this area; nor am I a health, media, or environmental employer.

I wouldn't have said that there's much to choose between Sociology and Social Policy vs. Social Science. I'd have suspected that Sociology and Social Policy commands slightly more respect, and might be easier to summarise what it actually is.

However, this is the course you're already taking, which you "feel may not be respected by employers". I think you're wrong.

I think you should ignore the name of the course, and go through the remaining modules of each. Which contains the modules you actually want to learn? That's the course you should be studying.
Hi,

Adding on to the advice that has already been given, I would look deep into the modules on both and see which one appeals to you more, and matches more with the career paths you have stated. I'm very happy to hear that the transition looks to be an easy one, same university and not having to retake a year, and is ultimately down to the courses. Just take time looking into what the modules offer compared to what you're looking to get out of them and see if they match and go from there. Good luck.

Best wishes,
Katie (Film Graduate)
University of Wolverhampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending