The Student Room Group

Switching courses

It’s the second semester of my first year and I’m now considering switching courses from international development with economics to accounting and finance
I want to work in the finance industry and after doing more research I don’t think I’ll be able to reach my goal as easily with my current course…
But anyways I just wanted some advice on like whether I should actually go through with it, whether it’s too late or what the process is like
Reply 1
Also forgot to add I’m studying at university of bath if that changes anything :P
Original post by Anonymous #1
It’s the second semester of my first year and I’m now considering switching courses from international development with economics to accounting and finance
I want to work in the finance industry and after doing more research I don’t think I’ll be able to reach my goal as easily with my current course…
But anyways I just wanted some advice on like whether I should actually go through with it, whether it’s too late or what the process is like
hi how have you found the course, i am interested in international development and econ
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
hi how have you found the course, i am interested in international development and econ
wait u actually wanna apply for it?
well i mean the actual content is quite interesting, and the international development part is easy but very interesting to read about. i did econ a levels so i found it quite easy in the beginning as ive already been taught this stuff.
the only downside is some of my lectures in my uni are quite bad... but going through the content by myself is fine.
Hello, sorry to hear you are feeling unsure about your studies. I know this isn’t the best feeling! I changed degree in my first year after Christmas, I actually changed universities and ended up re-starting from first year all over again in Liverpool! This was a big decision for me, however, I knew I was unhappy in my previous degree and did not see a point continuing if I felt it wasn’t for me and wouldn’t get me on the path I wanted to be on.
I made meetings with careers advisors, the wellbeing team and got valued advice from my personal tutor. I would definately recommend using your uni’s support services, they will know who to contact and will offer the best advice on what to do next! Also do speak to your parents and peers, it’s always good to speak up and ensure you’re supported in your decisions 😊
From my own experience, if you are feeling unsure about continuing your degree and are certain you want to change- do it! It would be a shame if you spent 3 years competing a degree you felt anything less than passionate about. Good luck and do what’s best for you! 😊

Ria
Official LJMU Rep
Original post by LJMUStudentReps
Hello, sorry to hear you are feeling unsure about your studies. I know this isn’t the best feeling! I changed degree in my first year after Christmas, I actually changed universities and ended up re-starting from first year all over again in Liverpool! This was a big decision for me, however, I knew I was unhappy in my previous degree and did not see a point continuing if I felt it wasn’t for me and wouldn’t get me on the path I wanted to be on.
I made meetings with careers advisors, the wellbeing team and got valued advice from my personal tutor. I would definately recommend using your uni’s support services, they will know who to contact and will offer the best advice on what to do next! Also do speak to your parents and peers, it’s always good to speak up and ensure you’re supported in your decisions 😊
From my own experience, if you are feeling unsure about continuing your degree and are certain you want to change- do it! It would be a shame if you spent 3 years competing a degree you felt anything less than passionate about. Good luck and do what’s best for you! 😊

Ria
Official LJMU Rep
Hello! ive started sending enquires to switch to another uni for next year, thats if my current uni doesnt let me switch. But thanks for your reply, ive been feeling rlly unsure and i think ive just been enduring by avoiding lectures and pretending im happy at my uni... but even if im at a less reputable uni i feel like i'd be happier doing a course im actually interested in. may i ask which course you did before and what you switched to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending