The Student Room Group

Applying for BEng yet on results day being asked to switch to MEng, Loughborough Uni?

How likely is it that If I apply for the BEng Mechatronics with work placement course (requirements: ABB) at Loughborough University will I on results day, be asked to switch to the MEng version of that course with work placement (requirements: AAA), if I do get sufficient grades for the MEng version? If someone does go through with the BEng, realistically how likely is that they will be given the chance to switch to the MEng version of that course after studying the BEng for a year or two?

My predicted grades for Physics, mathematics, and computer science are AAA, this MEng Robotics, Mechatronics, and Control Engineering course at Loughborough University is my firm choice, yet I am currently using 2 of my 5 Uni choices on the BEng and MEng of this course just in case I don't achieve the required AAA for the MEng, I will hopefully achieve the ABB for the BEng, and then be able to later on switch to the MEng version of the course if I do well enough on the course.

I was also wondering if It is worth applying for both the BEng and MEng of the same course, as I am worried that even if I achieve AAA, yet only apply for the ABB BEng, will I still be asked to start straight onto the MEng course. And also worried that even if I only get an ABB for the BEng course, will I be asked to switch the MEng version later on?

I also do an EPQ focused on building an autonomous robot. I was wondering if this could help lower the grade requirements required for the course if I were to get an A or B.

Sorry for the long read, any answers would help so much, thank you! @LoughbroughUniveristy
Original post by BlueTin
How likely is it that If I apply for the BEng Mechatronics with work placement course (requirements: ABB) at Loughborough University will I on results day, be asked to switch to the MEng version of that course with work placement (requirements: AAA), if I do get sufficient grades for the MEng version? If someone does go through with the BEng, realistically how likely is that they will be given the chance to switch to the MEng version of that course after studying the BEng for a year or two?

My predicted grades for Physics, mathematics, and computer science are AAA, this MEng Robotics, Mechatronics, and Control Engineering course at Loughborough University is my firm choice, yet I am currently using 2 of my 5 Uni choices on the BEng and MEng of this course just in case I don't achieve the required AAA for the MEng, I will hopefully achieve the ABB for the BEng, and then be able to later on switch to the MEng version of the course if I do well enough on the course.

I was also wondering if It is worth applying for both the BEng and MEng of the same course, as I am worried that even if I achieve AAA, yet only apply for the ABB BEng, will I still be asked to start straight onto the MEng course. And also worried that even if I only get an ABB for the BEng course, will I be asked to switch the MEng version later on?

I also do an EPQ focused on building an autonomous robot. I was wondering if this could help lower the grade requirements required for the course if I were to get an A or B.

Sorry for the long read, any answers would help so much, thank you! @LoughbroughUniveristy

Hi @BlueTin ,

It is great to hear you are considering Loughborough!

As this is quite a specific question I don't want to give you the wrong information so I would recommend you contact admissions: [email protected]

They will be able to give you more specific information and help with your request.

If you have any questions about Loughborough I am more then happy to help. I have done 2 years at Loughborough so can give you some insight.

I hope this helps 🙂

Alex
Original post by BlueTin

Id get in contact with the department but generally once enrolled at university it’s very easy to move between MEng & BEng after first or second year if your grades are on track for a good 2.1 (roughly 65%).

Loughboroughs course director can answer your query about switching on results day, and id enquire about moving after first year as well. Most universities run a joint first & second year then the masters & bachelors split in year 3 but you’ll have to check.

Quick Reply

Latest