The Student Room Group

Online Studying

I get that online studying is completely different and hard, but its the best option for me at the moment, even-though everyone ive spoken to keep reiterating that is so so difficult and unachievable apparently?
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by capripisces
I get that online studying is completely different and hard, but its the best option for me, even-though everyone ive spoken to keep reiterating that is so so difficult apparently?

It can be because you're removed from the classroom environment.

When you don't have a set routine and you lack discipline, it becomes difficult to stick to. For example, you're much less likely to be able to study productively in your room than say in the library.

We are also social creatures, so we often prefer face to face contact. The online teleconferencing options doesn't replace the need for in person contact. In person contact tends to improve learning and retention. Emailing back and forth doesn't have the same feel.

Unless you're really really interested in the topic, it's often difficult to maintain online learning. If you do, you would need to have a set routine in a good environment, and stick to the same routine until the course is complete.
I get that online studying is completely different and hard, but its the best option for me, even-though everyone ive spoken to keep reiterating that is so so difficult apparently?

Hi, I am just finishing up studying Geography A level online. At first when people asked I said sure go for it but now I would say otherwise. Here is my experience:
First off if your passion is the subject you chose then go for it. I love Geography and I had full motivation and discipline throughout. If you have a rough plan you should be good. Be sure to be flexible and realise that if life gets in the way, your online studying is likely to fall behind but don't get discouraged. Set times and places to do it to make it routine and realise some days you will make loads of progress while some days it will feel like none. I'm currently nearing my exam and due to my poor planning I am cramming a lot in right now. However with saying that I am also completing it quicker than if I was in a class so online means you can go at your own pace.

Secondly, if your studying full time online then make sure to set times to still interact with people, still have a social life etc. When studying online it could feel incredibly lonely so it's necessary to have human interaction.

Thirdly, it depends what course your taking and through who. Make sure they are reliable and ensure there is a good student support. However with saying this, I took an a level through Oxbridge, and while they claim to be award winning online college, the support system often wasn't professional. If you have no live classes online and it's all communication through email, I would recommend you find a tutor beyond the online school your using. It doesn't have to be full time, just someone who you can check with every now and then to help you stay on track.

You would also need to do a lot of your own research outside of the course. I found I needed to do my own research often when I wasn't understanding the course. Also if there is an exam, keep checking the syllabus directly from the board to ensure you are staying on track because some online courses add their own things.

Finally, keep track of your own progress. Your online tutor won't always follow up. If your sitting an exam start working on the exams months prior. Online courses often only start working on practise questions at the end of the course when one usually would leave until late.
and of course good luck and enjoy!!! If there is an option to do it in class I would definitely recommend over online just because you have to be very on top of your progress. But if there is no other way like me then I would say go for it. I don't regret taking it and even though I don't think I'll do amazing in the exam the skills I gained from self studying is worth it all.
Hope this is all clear. Feel free to ask questions
Reply 3
Original post by Totallyridic
Hi, I am just finishing up studying Geography A level online. At first when people asked I said sure go for it but now I would say otherwise. Here is my experience:
First off if your passion is the subject you chose then go for it. I love Geography and I had full motivation and discipline throughout. If you have a rough plan you should be good. Be sure to be flexible and realise that if life gets in the way, your online studying is likely to fall behind but don't get discouraged. Set times and places to do it to make it routine and realise some days you will make loads of progress while some days it will feel like none. I'm currently nearing my exam and due to my poor planning I am cramming a lot in right now. However with saying that I am also completing it quicker than if I was in a class so online means you can go at your own pace.

Secondly, if your studying full time online then make sure to set times to still interact with people, still have a social life etc. When studying online it could feel incredibly lonely so it's necessary to have human interaction.

Thirdly, it depends what course your taking and through who. Make sure they are reliable and ensure there is a good student support. However with saying this, I took an a level through Oxbridge, and while they claim to be award winning online college, the support system often wasn't professional. If you have no live classes online and it's all communication through email, I would recommend you find a tutor beyond the online school your using. It doesn't have to be full time, just someone who you can check with every now and then to help you stay on track.

You would also need to do a lot of your own research outside of the course. I found I needed to do my own research often when I wasn't understanding the course. Also if there is an exam, keep checking the syllabus directly from the board to ensure you are staying on track because some online courses add their own things.

Finally, keep track of your own progress. Your online tutor won't always follow up. If your sitting an exam start working on the exams months prior. Online courses often only start working on practise questions at the end of the course when one usually would leave until late.
and of course good luck and enjoy!!! If there is an option to do it in class I would definitely recommend over online just because you have to be very on top of your progress. But if there is no other way like me then I would say go for it. I don't regret taking it and even though I don't think I'll do amazing in the exam the skills I gained from self studying is worth it all.
Hope this is all clear. Feel free to ask questions

other than hopefully getting a part time job, all other free time would just be open for studying - I bought two out of the three levels im doing today, and at the moment just trying to think of ways to continue motivation and power through it all as ive never led my self in education like this before
other than hopefully getting a part time job, all other free time would just be open for studying - I bought two out of the three levels im doing today, and at the moment just trying to think of ways to continue motivation and power through it all as ive never led my self in education like this before

Not sure if you want my recommendations (I'm a seasoned online course studier, and I did an A Level online with expectations of doing another on top). If you want my suggestions, let me know.
Reply 5
Original post by MindMax2000
Not sure if you want my recommendations (I'm a seasoned online course studier, and I did an A Level online with expectations of doing another on top). If you want my suggestions, let me know.

oh 100%, the more help the better honestly! :smile:
oh 100%, the more help the better honestly! :smile:

Have a set routine for each day, where you are designated at least 6 hours towards studying. This should be the first thing you do the moment you get out of bed (barring showers, brushing teeth, exercise, meditation, etc.) I work in 2 hour segments, where you get 90 minutes of intense focus, and then 25 minutes of chilling - these work with your ultradian rhythms. I would not spend more than 10 hours in any one day studying though.

It can also take a while for you to get into the swing of things. The only thing that would help is if you go straight into it for 5-15 minutes. Procrastination often slow things down; this is unnecessary when you have full control of what and when you study.

Make sure your work environment is tidy and clear, so when you do work on your studies, you're only focusing on one thing. Having a phone is distracting enough, but if you have all sorts of bits and bobs on your desk, it's going to work against you. Make it easier on yourself.
Also keep your notes succint and organised i.e. get ringbinders for them.

When I also study, I tend to finish off one chapter/unit at a time at least i.e. don't stop until you finish the chapter before taking a break. Taking breaks whilst doing the unit can disrupt your memory recall, focus, and momentum. You also get a bit of buzz after completing one chapter before you rest.

If you have control over what material you can study at one time, I would try to do one subject at a time. If you don't, I wouldn't recommend doing more than 4 at the same time. It costs energy, willpower, and focus to switch between subjects.

Try to complete the notes and study early e.g. 3-4 months before the exams. That way, you can have more time to spend on revision. A lot of it can be through past papers. When reviewing your answers, focus on where you went wrong more than where you went right.

I would watch the YouTube videos by people who achieved A*/As in subjects that you're studying. You would often find good tips that have proven to be effective in your study.

Get revision and exam practice guides for your specific subjects and exam boards. These would be useful in your revision and saves you going through pages and pages of notes if you don't need to.

When I was working on my A Level privately, I more or less binged on it for 6 weeks, where I was spending roughly 10 hours each day (I occasionally had days off, but I would try to stay consistent where possible). It meant I got through the material relatively fast and I get more time on revision.
If you have done the subject before, you can often get through a lot of the material within the month.

Just out of interest, what are your subjects in?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Have a set routine for each day, where you are designated at least 6 hours towards studying. This should be the first thing you do the moment you get out of bed (barring showers, brushing teeth, exercise, meditation, etc.) I work in 2 hour segments, where you get 90 minutes of intense focus, and then 25 minutes of chilling - these work with your ultradian rhythms. I would not spend more than 10 hours in any one day studying though.

It can also take a while for you to get into the swing of things. The only thing that would help is if you go straight into it for 5-15 minutes. Procrastination often slow things down; this is unnecessary when you have full control of what and when you study.

Make sure your work environment is tidy and clear, so when you do work on your studies, you're only focusing on one thing. Having a phone is distracting enough, but if you have all sorts of bits and bobs on your desk, it's going to work against you. Make it easier on yourself.
Also keep your notes succint and organised i.e. get ringbinders for them.

When I also study, I tend to finish off one chapter/unit at a time at least i.e. don't stop until you finish the chapter before taking a break. Taking breaks whilst doing the unit can disrupt your memory recall, focus, and momentum. You also get a bit of buzz after completing one chapter before you rest.

If you have control over what material you can study at one time, I would try to do one subject at a time. If you don't, I wouldn't recommend doing more than 4 at the same time. It costs energy, willpower, and focus to switch between subjects.

Try to complete the notes and study early e.g. 3-4 months before the exams. That way, you can have more time to spend on revision. A lot of it can be through past papers. When reviewing your answers, focus on where you went wrong more than where you went right.

I would watch the YouTube videos by people who achieved A*/As in subjects that you're studying. You would often find good tips that have proven to be effective in your study.

Get revision and exam practice guides for your specific subjects and exam boards. These would be useful in your revision and saves you going through pages and pages of notes if you don't need to.

When I was working on my A Level privately, I more or less binged on it for 6 weeks, where I was spending roughly 10 hours each day (I occasionally had days off, but I would try to stay consistent where possible). It meant I got through the material relatively fast and I get more time on revision.
If you have done the subject before, you can often get through a lot of the material within the month.

Just out of interest, what are your subjects in?

Thankyou so so much, Ive already complied a few study playlists on YouTube (like Pomodoro sessions and such as well as videos from high graders), but Im about to start a level sociology, a level classical civilisation and a level English lit. In GCSE, I got 9s (A*s) in Eng Lit and Lang. I have some brief knowledge in lit and Sociology as I did them for a month or so in college before dropping (so I still have a few textbooks from them both) but Classical civilisation is completely fresh. Im not too sure how this site works yet lol so I think ive managed to join a few threads/groups (?? unsure haha) for all three at the moment.
Thankyou so so much, Ive already complied a few study playlists on YouTube (like Pomodoro sessions and such as well as videos from high graders), but Im about to start a level sociology, a level classical civilisation and a level English lit. In GCSE, I got 9s (A*s) in Eng Lit and Lang. I have some brief knowledge in lit and Sociology as I did them for a month or so in college before dropping (so I still have a few textbooks from them both) but Classical civilisation is completely fresh. Im not too sure how this site works yet lol so I think ive managed to join a few threads/groups (?? unsure haha) for all three at the moment.

If you don't mind me asking then, why are you redoing your A Levels?
I can understand if you do Classical Civilisations and English Lit because Classical Civilisations a required subject for Classics degrees and Lit is a required subject for English degrees top end unis. Sociology isn't a required subject. If you have already done 3 A Levels before, this is just adding unnecessary work, or am I misunderstanding something?
Reply 9
If you don't mind me asking then, why are you redoing your A Levels?
I can understand if you do Classical Civilisations and English Lit because Classical Civilisations a required subject for Classics degrees and Lit is a required subject for English degrees top end unis. Sociology isn't a required subject. If you have already done 3 A Levels before, this is just adding unnecessary work, or am I misunderstanding something?

I didnt complete any of the a levels due to some life issues and mental health - which is why im getting on them (albeit about two years late but still), so at the minute my official education stops at GCSEs. The idea for me at the moment is to do these levels online, and then go onto university (im just a year or two late to the party, unfortunately haha)
I didnt complete any of the a levels due to some life issues and mental health - which is why im getting on them (albeit about two years late but still), so at the minute my official education stops at GCSEs. The idea for me at the moment is to do these levels online, and then go onto university (im just a year or two late to the party, unfortunately haha)

Sounds good. I wouldn't let the 1-2 year delay hold you back.

If you don't mind me asking, which degree are you aiming for?
Reply 11
Sounds good. I wouldn't let the 1-2 year delay hold you back.

If you don't mind me asking, which degree are you aiming for?

Im not really sure yet, so Im just hoping I can get some advice and direction somewhere at some point as this is a completely new world to me at the moment, and everyone else just seems to already know everything about it except me.
Im not really sure yet, so Im just hoping I can get some advice and direction somewhere at some point as this is a completely new world to me at the moment, and everyone else just seems to already know everything about it except me.

OK.

Do you know what sort of career you want? At least give me a rough idea of what you would ideally like to do on a day to day basis, or the sector that you want to work in. From there, I would be able to at least have a rough idea of whether you need a degree or not.

If you just want me to list the types of degrees that you can do with your A Level subjects, I can but it's a long winded list and it's a lot easier if we start off with the career.
Reply 13
OK.

Do you know what sort of career you want? At least give me a rough idea of what you would ideally like to do on a day to day basis, or the sector that you want to work in. From there, I would be able to at least have a rough idea of whether you need a degree or not.

If you just want me to list the types of degrees that you can do with your A Level subjects, I can but it's a long winded list and it's a lot easier if we start off with the career.

Thankyou so much for all this help, at the minute Im just having a look through a site about degrees most suited to my level subjects. Seeing as English is an enjoyed and strong subject of mine, I'd probably say a course/career that involves that mainly. Any degrees you can think of off the top of your head would be great just so I can have a deeper delve into them as well! :smile:
Thankyou so much for all this help, at the minute Im just having a look through a site about degrees most suited to my level subjects. Seeing as English is an enjoyed and strong subject of mine, I'd probably say a course/career that involves that mainly. Any degrees you can think of off the top of your head would be great just so I can have a deeper delve into them as well! :smile:

English Lit is usually my default answer. Associated degrees include American Studies, Journalism, Creative Writing.

In terms of writing careers, most of them don't require you to have a specific degree or much above A Levels i.e. if you want to work for a publishers or become a writer yourself, you can often do so with minimal qualifications.

If you want to teach English at secondary school, then you would probably need the appropriate degree and then a PGCE at secondary education with QTS (QTS is essential if you want to qualify as a teacher; don't do the qualification without the QTS status).

If you do an English degree but later want to go into a completely different sector, you can often do so e.g. business, government services, hospitality, property (nothing in engineering or architecture though), arts and creatives, languages.
Reply 15
English Lit is usually my default answer. Associated degrees include American Studies, Journalism, Creative Writing.

In terms of writing careers, most of them don't require you to have a specific degree or much above A Levels i.e. if you want to work for a publishers or become a writer yourself, you can often do so with minimal qualifications.

If you want to teach English at secondary school, then you would probably need the appropriate degree and then a PGCE at secondary education with QTS (QTS is essential if you want to qualify as a teacher; don't do the qualification without the QTS status).

If you do an English degree but later want to go into a completely different sector, you can often do so e.g. business, government services, hospitality, property (nothing in engineering or architecture though), arts and creatives, languages.

Again thankyou so much, I've just been looking myself on the UCAS website at English BA (hons) degrees and I think thats what I want to go for, eventhough it does warn that its a very popular degree. The only thing right now thats freaking me out a bit is the mention of needing/universities preferring relevant experience to do with the English degree, and also just.. which uni to aim for haha.
Again thankyou so much, I've just been looking myself on the UCAS website at English BA (hons) degrees and I think thats what I want to go for, eventhough it does warn that its a very popular degree. The only thing right now thats freaking me out a bit is the mention of needing/universities preferring relevant experience to do with the English degree, and also just.. which uni to aim for haha.

That confuses me. How do you get relevant experience for an English degree? What is relevant experience for an English degree? It's not pharmacy or vetinary science.

As far as I know, you can just do an English degree with the right grades and a burning passion for the subject. The top end unis would require Literature as an A Level in your 3, but a lot of other unis won't ask for anything in particular. As far as I know, I have not come across a single English degree that asks for specific experience.
Reply 17
That confuses me. How do you get relevant experience for an English degree? What is relevant experience for an English degree? It's not pharmacy or vetinary science.

As far as I know, you can just do an English degree with the right grades and a burning passion for the subject. The top end unis would require Literature as an A Level in your 3, but a lot of other unis won't ask for anything in particular. As far as I know, I have not come across a single English degree that asks for specific experience.

right okay thankyou, because I saw somewhere that you'd need/it be preferred that you had some sort of experience in your own personal life that relates somehow lol
Reply 18
There is reams and reams of research about the significance of the social aspect of learning together in a room and I am amazed that so many universities are still so ready to ignore it.

Can I ask which online learning provider you're using?

Quick Reply

Latest