The Student Room Group

Should I do an online access course?

I have the choice out of doing two access courses. I want to go to university to do either mental health nursing or social work.

First: Online doing health care. This will help me decide what I want to do in university. I won't have to travel, so I will have more time to be able to work, or volunteer. I'm not sure how good an online course is though. I think I might be better at learning in person. I tried to do an online course in administration and that did not go well. I will be doing subjects I enjoy more and that I am good at.

Second: In person doing psychology and biology. I'm better at learning in person. It will take more time out of my day to travel. I was not very good at Science at school. I got a C and a D. Psychology is not my best health care subject either. I got a pass at college, but I need a higher grade to get into university. This course is more aimed towards mental-health nursing, not social work.
Original post by KeziaF
I have the choice out of doing two access courses. I want to go to university to do either mental health nursing or social work.

First: Online doing health care. This will help me decide what I want to do in university. I won't have to travel, so I will have more time to be able to work, or volunteer. I'm not sure how good an online course is though. I think I might be better at learning in person. I tried to do an online course in administration and that did not go well. I will be doing subjects I enjoy more and that I am good at.

Second: In person doing psychology and biology. I'm better at learning in person. It will take more time out of my day to travel. I was not very good at Science at school. I got a C and a D. Psychology is not my best health care subject either. I got a pass at college, but I need a higher grade to get into university. This course is more aimed towards mental-health nursing, not social work.

As far as I know, degrees in mentla health nursing or social work don't require specific subjects in your Level 3 qualification. In other words, you should be able to do an Access course in any subject and still get accepted for degrees in either disciplines, so long the university you are applying to accepts Access. I would check the entry requirements for the degrees that you want to do first before deciding on what to do next.
Having said that, according to various job profile databasises (e.g. National Careers Service, Career Pilot), you need a degree to go into nursing but not social work. You can do a degree and go into social work (in fact you can do a master's in social work and get it recognised and help you in your career in social work).

In terms of whether to do a course offline or online, I would prefer to do it offline. As someone who do a number of courses online compared to what I have done offline, I feel a lot more comfortable and productive offline. In particular:

You get more support when you're in person

You do things on a set schedule, which can save you from motivating yourself

You work towards deadlines a lot easier

The only problem is that offline courses tend to be a lot more expensive.

I would find it a lot more effective if I spoke to people who are in social work or nursing to help you decide on your career path as opposed to doing a course. What you study doesn't always translate to what happens in practice.
Hi @KeziaF

I am a current online student, and I started an online access course in 2020 before progressing into a degree program. Before I started studying online, I did have the fear that I would not do well and that it would take a lot to stay motivated and disciplined. However, I am in my fourth year of studying online, and all I can tell you from my experience is that you need to believe in yourself and speak out when you need help. I believe those are the elements that helped me stay on track in the years that I have been studying online.

What I have enjoyed about studying online is that is flexible and accommodative in several ways. As a student, I am required to dedicate 15 to 20 hours towards my studies per week. Meaning, when I have a busy week, I can always catch up on weekends. With regards support, my university has provided me with student advisors, tutors, and a student support team which are always hands on. Furthermore, when I am stuck on a topic, I can always book a one-to-one call or meeting with my tutor to get clarification on the subject matter. Being an online student has also contributed to enhancing my personal and professional skills in many ways.

Before you decide on studying in person or online, I would advise you to draw up a table of the pros and cons of each study option. From there, you would be able to decide on the study option that would suit you most. Lastly, also ask the universities you are interested in if they accept applicants with access courses for the subject you want to study.

If you have any questions regarding studying online, please feel free to contact me.:smile:

Best wishes,
Minkateko University of Essex Online Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending