The Student Room Group

What subjects should i choose in A-levels?

I am interested in computer science and business in future but i dont know what subjects to take in Alevels. (Iam not good in maths)
Reply 1
Original post by its_bilalogy
I am interested in computer science and business in future but i dont know what subjects to take in Alevels. (Iam not good in maths)

Well, I would advise taking Maths for computer science.
1) Obviously Business Stidies
2) Economics
3) Maths ideally but o/w IT

For a lot of business courses, business at a level is not necessary- economics might be a better option as it is more respected. If you were to take business though, I wouldn’t suggest taking econ along with it as some unis don’t consider them as separate subjects (eg LSE and Durham). As for computer science, maths is essential, and further maths would be useful as well. I would recommend looking at entry requirements for courses you are interested in.

I would say (in my opinion) a good combination would be maths, economics, and a strong subject (such as physics/geo/english/history) + further maths if you think you would be ok with it. If maths is something you are really against, you may want to reconsider computer science at degree level and look at courses which are related, but not as maths based.

Computer Science and Business involve Maths. If you are no good at Maths look for a non mathematical subject. Some universities will accept you without A level Maths but it will restrict your options.
The Maths in Business A level is very basic hence why its considered an Essay Subjects by a lot of unis
Original post by swanseajack1
Computer Science and Business involve Maths. If you are no good at Maths look for a non mathematical subject. Some universities will accept you without A level Maths but it will restrict your options.

Check the courses on a few unis websites to see what they suggest.
But good subjects to look into are: ICT/computer science, maths, either economics or business studies.

Quick Reply

Latest