The Student Room Group

Medicine

Im an a level student (year 13) who wants to study medicine. I achieved A*AA in mocks in biology chemistry and psychology and I am predicted A*AA. In my ucat test I achieved a score of 3000 however during GCSEs i did no revision and as a result got predominately grade 5s with a 6 in maths and 8 in history. Is there any point in me applying to do medicine with my bad gcses?
Reply 1
Original post by DUD2410
Im an a level student (year 13) who wants to study medicine. I achieved A*AA in mocks in biology chemistry and psychology and I am predicted A*AA. In my ucat test I achieved a score of 3000 however during GCSEs i did no revision and as a result got predominately grade 5s with a 6 in maths and 8 in history. Is there any point in me applying to do medicine with my bad gcses?

Well done on achieving 3000 in UCAT. This score is incredible. I am not an expert but pretty sure there are unis which are not heavily based on GCSE and by the looks of it, you pretty much have the entry requirements for most unis which would be 6/B in English and Maths. Unis like Southampton Bristol send interviews solely on UCAT score so I think giving a shot is worthy.
Reply 2
Original post by DUD2410

Your issue is going to be that it looks like you have a 5 in Eng Lang? If so, that severely limits where you can apply
Bristol, Cambridge, Oxford, Exeter, Newcastle, Plymouth, St Andrews (they consider a 5 as a B but usually need 5 x 7+ at GCSE) accept a 5.
You need A*A*A* A levels for Exeter
Cambridge and Oxford are BMAT, Cambridge needs A*A*A A levels and Oxford scores GCSEs.
That leaves you Bristol - who need a 7 in maths
Newcastle and Plymouth, who should both interview you.
I would ring St Andrews and see if they would waive their usual GCSE requirements in this situation, as they say "Generally five A grades (numerical grade 7) in GCSE are required at one sitting to be considered for interview" and not that they must be. They may not, but worth asking and follow up with an email.
You can also resit your Eng Lang with your A levels, so apply with it as a pending grade, which opens up Glasgow and your maths, which would add Bristol (if you got a 7)
So you currently have 2 UCAT unis you should get an interview at and 2 more if you resit maths and english.
Doing BMAT would give you a chance at BSMS, Imperial and UCL, with 6s in Eng and maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending