The Student Room Group

I need advice d

I have been in uni for four years and I am tired but need to keep going - my family are disappointed in me and I’m so annoyed at them. I did a foundation year but that is not counted so technically it’s 4 years in a three year degree, aiming to get a 1st overral but what can I do to ignore my family ? They are so rude to me :frown:
Reply 1
i would try and resolve the differences, reflect on what has gone wrong in your relationship and try to build bridges. Does not matter who is to blame, bad feelings are not good for anybody's peace of mind. You can only ever do your best and your family will accept this I hope
Reply 2
What has happened exactly?
Reply 3
Original post by Scanjo63
i would try and resolve the differences, reflect on what has gone wrong in your relationship and try to build bridges. Does not matter who is to blame, bad feelings are not good for anybody's peace of mind. You can only ever do your best and your family will accept this I hope

They hate me so much, always rolling their eyes and shaming me… I will get a job and work whilst getting a 1st in my third year. What happened was I was struggling and I was enrolled late so I had to take two years to complete one year course but then finished second year and now I’m in third year with a changed course (same degree but less modules) and getting a 1st in most of the assignments. It’s just my family has always been like this, now I can see it and I will move out in August
Reply 4
Perhaps discuss with them why you're feeling this way? August is nearly a year away so a long time to just grin and bear it.

I felt my family were disappointed with me for not attending uni when I was younger and supposed to. However, discussing it with them later in life they were just worried I was unhappy and disappointed in myself. Sometimes we project our feelings outwards. I'm currently 2 years into a 6 year course as I'm studying part time in order to work. Everyone studies and lives their life at their own pace.
Original post by Anonymous
I have been in uni for four years and I am tired but need to keep going - my family are disappointed in me and I’m so annoyed at them. I did a foundation year but that is not counted so technically it’s 4 years in a three year degree, aiming to get a 1st overral but what can I do to ignore my family ? They are so rude to me :frown:

Hey there!

Sorry you're feeling this way. I understand the pressure that a lot of parents place their children under when it comes to their degree. Whilst what they're doing is rude and unhelpful, I don't think they actually hate you. I think it's more so that they want to see you succeed so have placed a lot of pressure on you to get you into a good career rather than focusing on what your needs are and what makes you happy. My advice is to stay in your own lane, work at the pace that works for you and do as well as you can. At the end of the day your career is your career. Only you know what it is you want to do with your life and you shouldn't listen to critics because that's how you end up falling out of love with what you're doing. If you're aiming to get a 1st, you're already well on the right track but don't conform to the pressure to do that because it's what you think will impress your family. You do you and you'll end up living a life you love.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending