The Student Room Group

Appeals process

I have been on a post graduate training course for over a year now. Its taken longer due to ill health but now the university have made the decision to withdraw me from the course without any consultation. My question is can they do this without any warning. I also saw in a thread of emails the Programme lead advising administration to take this action 'as time was of the essence' meaning whilst I was signed off sick. I have appealed the decision but what are my chances of getting reinstated onto the course. Should I put in a complaint against the PL for their comments made ( I have the email evidence). What other avenues should I explore in regard my situation if the appeal isn't upheld and in regard discrimination due to the fact i was unwell and unable to defend myself at the time the decision to withdraw my place was made. I feel I am in a very weak & vulnerable position as my job is linked to the training I am doing.

Advise welcome particularly from anyone else who has had this happen or from those working within universities

Thanks
Original post by dnails63rr
I have been on a post graduate training course for over a year now. Its taken longer due to ill health but now the university have made the decision to withdraw me from the course without any consultation. My question is can they do this without any warning. I also saw in a thread of emails the Programme lead advising administration to take this action 'as time was of the essence' meaning whilst I was signed off sick. I have appealed the decision but what are my chances of getting reinstated onto the course. Should I put in a complaint against the PL for their comments made ( I have the email evidence). What other avenues should I explore in regard my situation if the appeal isn't upheld and in regard discrimination due to the fact i was unwell and unable to defend myself at the time the decision to withdraw my place was made. I feel I am in a very weak & vulnerable position as my job is linked to the training I am doing.

Advise welcome particularly from anyone else who has had this happen or from those working within universities

Thanks

Unless you give very specific details, dates, times, quotes etc it is impossible for randomers from an online forum to give any advice. The facts are that organisations know what the law is, they know how disability legislation works, and they rarely make mistakes. So hearing one-sided stories like this isn't helpful in terms of giving useful advice. Mistakes do happen, you might be the victim of an error, or even more rarely an injustice, but statistically that's not likely to be the case.

You should take this up with your Students Union or similar support functions at your Uni and you will need to reveal all emails, and accept the rules in handbooks, course notes etc that you should have been aware of etc.

Quick Reply

Latest