The Student Room Group

University Academic Appeals

Hi, I am graduating uni this year and have been massively impacted by illness over the last 6 months which has led to me getting a worse grade than I feel I deserved.

I am trying to appeal this and the grounds on which I am appealing are: "That a student’s assessment performance was adversely affected (including as a result of non-submission) by circumstances outside the student’s control (mitigating circumstances) and which the student was unable, or for valid reason(s) unwilling, to divulge to the Board before the Board of Examiners reached its decision, such that the student was materially disadvantaged and had it not been for those circumstances the student’s performance would have been significantly better (or, in the case of non-submission, the student would have been able to make a full submission) and the decision of the Board would, as a consequence, have been substantively different"

However after downloading the appication form it says I cannot appeal my final grade unless the grounds on which I am appealing are: "that there has been significant administrative or procedural error on the part of the University which has materially disadvantaged the student, such that had it not been for the error the decision of the Board would probably have been substantively different;"

These are the only two grounds for appeals and for every other reason of appealing both grounds are acceptable but not for final grade.

Is there any way I can still appeal? I don't think this is fair at all.
Reply 1
This is absolutely standard across the sector and are the only two reasons for which you can appeal.
You may be able to frame your appeal in terms of the first reason (things not known at the time the assessment took place) and argue for a "retrospective" consideration of PMCs against specific modules affected. The marks already awarded awarded cannot be changed unfortunately, you might be offered the chance to retake certain modules if your appeal is successful . That will obviously prevent you from graduating now, as those would be processed at the next Exam Board.
The bigger issue have is why you did not let the university know about your personal circumstances at the time the assessments were completed - without a convincing narrative you probably won't be successful.
It's essential that you seek advice locally with the SU and talk to your Programe Administrator - time is short, so you need to move on this on Monday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending