The Student Room Group

Can I sue my uni for administrative error in my final degree classification?

At this point I am certain that my university has made a mistake that has resulted in wrong final year grade calculation by almost 5% and overall degree grade is affected by 3%. It’s been a week and no one has responded my email. My advisor will return on Tuesday (he’s actually very good) so I know I will get some response on Tue/Wed. But how can university make such a big mistake. It actually makes my final classification from 2.2 to 2.1.
(edited 9 months ago)
i hope the advisor will be supportive

do you need a certain degree classification for a job or a new degree?
Reply 2
Original post by beautifulworld
i hope the advisor will be supportive

do you need a certain degree classification for a job or a new degree?

It hardly matters to me my classification because I know where I stand after undertaking numerous assessment and coursework. However, it’s just bad to say you ended uni with 2.2 or like facing your parents.
You need to follow your university formal process for appeals. That will not normally mean emailing your advisor.

Your student handbook should explain what you need to do if you think your classification has been calculated incorrectly.

If you follow the formal appeals process and don’t get your results amended then you would then need to follow the formal complaints process. You need to exhaust internal processes before litigation.
Reply 4
As @PQ says, you need to look at and follow the university's appeals process. And you need to bear in mind that the timings allowed for an appeal against your final result might be very short, so you need to get cracking Don't wait till after you've heard back from you advisor; it might be too late by then. You need to be looking at what the regulations say today.

Also, you should be aware that the university's rules might not allow a degree to be conferred while an appeal is pending. This might mean you won't be able to graduate in the summer with your peers.
Original post by sham44_
At this point I am certain that my university has made a mistake that has resulted in wrong final year grade calculation by almost 5% and overall degree grade is affected by 3%. It’s been a week and no one has responded my email. My advisor will return on Tuesday (he’s actually very good) so I know I will get some response on Tue/Wed. But how can university make such a big mistake. It actually makes my final classification from 2.2 to 2.1.

Hi @sham44_

There is typically a Results Appeal process you can go through for this kind of thing. If you can’t find it on the website or your student portal, email your Student Guidance team and see if they can offer any help or send you a link to the appropriate forms.

Best of luck!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending