The Student Room Group

Mental health support/disciplinary at university

Hi all,

My daughter is currently at uni, and her MH issues seem to have returned. She has missed some of her in person classes due to her MH. She has told us now, which I see as a positive, as previously she never did.

I was wondering what sort of support she can expect from the university, and how they go about disciplinaries. I know it's early days, but we don't want her to get kicked out before she has had a chance to find her feet. I know she won't cope if she has her dream snatched away from her after all she's been through.

Thanks for listening

Concerned Dad
Good evening sir!

The good news is that mental health issues are not seen as almost a "crime" as they used to be some decades ago. I would strongly suggest that she sees her doctor soon, mainly to help alleviate her problems possibly with medication, but also so that this event is recorded in her medical history, so that she can then ask for perhaps a [short?] leave of absence from uni and/or extra time for assignments/homework as well as possibly for exams depending on the nature of the MH issues.

She should, I would advise, also see her personal tutor to discuss matters and whoever deals with facilities/help with extenuating circumstances [usually one of the lecturers in her dept] to secure the aid outlined above.

Now that MH problems do not carry a stigma as they used to, my view is that "disciplinaries" should not come into the equation at all, as long as she is honest about her health, and is prepared to undertake appropriate measures to help sort it as advised by the professionals.

I wish you the best of luck in this, I am sure, v tough time for you and your family.

M.
@gjd800 may be able to chip in.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

My daughter is currently at uni, and her MH issues seem to have returned. She has missed some of her in person classes due to her MH. She has told us now, which I see as a positive, as previously she never did.

I was wondering what sort of support she can expect from the university, and how they go about disciplinaries. I know it's early days, but we don't want her to get kicked out before she has had a chance to find her feet. I know she won't cope if she has her dream snatched away from her after all she's been through.

Thanks for listening

Concerned Dad

Did she apply for DSA?
Reply 4
@mutley, I'm not sure. It sounds a little familiar. I do know she disclosed her MH issues, and medication.

@macpatgh thanks, she has an appointment booked with the uni support team. She also tells me she's informed her personal tutor.

Thank you all

C D
Definitely encourage her to apply for DSA, the disability support services will be able to offer her a 1-1 mentor to help with things like deadlines.
Reply 6
@coolCavy I was talking to her today, she has made a note of that to bring up with the uni wellfare people.

Thank you all for your suggestions

C D
Reply 7
I don't have much to add to what has already been suggested. it is very positive that daughter has been open and proactive - well done to her.
Reply 8
Once again thank you all. I shall give a little update tomorrow after she's had her meeting.

C D
Reply 9
Hi all, daughter felt the meeting with uni support team was positive, and that she had a good chat, which she said she needed. She has another one in 2 weeks, and has further questions etc.

Thank you all for your time and support.

C D

Quick Reply

Latest