The Student Room Group

Halp! Economics application question here

ey! I am a Korean who studies IB in Israel and am applying to economics at UK universities for early application, 15th of October. I am wondering what would be my chances getting accepted to the following unis. I know a lot about UK universities since I research immensely and dedicated preparing for it. Still, I wanted to hear some thoughts.

My predicted grades are as follows :

Mathematics HL 7
Economics HL 7
Global Politics HL 6
English B HL 6
Korean Lit A SL 7
Biology SL 6
Core +2
Overall : 41/45

I believe my personal statement is quite good enough. Since I was preparing for the application for about 2 years, I was able to prepare for ECs and read articles regarding economics.
My PS includes :

Pity that I don't have a work experience on this field

These are the unis that I am applying :
LSE BSc Economics L101
UCL BSc Economics L100
Edinburgh MA Economics
KCL BSc Economics
Warwick or UCL economics and statistics

I am not sure for the last slot. Where should I apply?
I have seen a sudden increase in acceptance rate for UCL economics which was about 40% and is now 15%.
And what should be my chances getting accepted to these courses? Especially UCL that I eagerly hoped to get in
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Applying to all four of Warwick, UCL, KCL and LSE for Economics is not a great idea.

They are all ridiculously competitive - not because they are 'better' but simply because of 'London glamour' or 'fashionable reputation' - and your chances of an offer, even with good grades, are slim.

I'd recommend only applying to two of these and instead applying to 'good for Economics' Unis outside London such as Manchester, Bristol and Bath instead
Original post by ezrak0
ey! I am a Korean who studies IB in Israel and am applying to economics at UK universities for early application, 15th of October. I am wondering what would be my chances getting accepted to the following unis. I know a lot about UK universities since I research immensely and dedicated preparing for it. Still, I wanted to hear some thoughts.

My predicted grades are as follows :

Mathematics HL 7
Economics HL 7
Global Politics HL 6
English B HL 6
Korean Lit A SL 7
Biology SL 6
Core +2
Overall : 41/45

I believe my personal statement is quite good enough. Since I was preparing for the application for about 2 years, I was able to prepare for ECs and read articles regarding economics.
My PS includes :
1. Economic academic circle that I led
2. Econometrics online course from Erasmus
3. Maths club (game theory etc.)
4. Few academic articles for economics from unis
5. The wealth of nations
6. Personal investigation on mathematics used in economics

Pity that I don't have a work experience on this field

These are the unis that I am applying :
LSE BSc Economics L101
UCL BSc Economics L100
Edinburgh MA Economics
KCL BSc Economics
Warwick or UCL economics and statistics

I am not sure for the last slot. Where should I apply?
I have seen a sudden increase in acceptance rate for UCL economics which was about 40% and is now 15%.
And what should be my chances getting accepted to these courses? Especially UCL that I eagerly hoped to get in

Firstly UK universities dont really look at extra curriculars so that will have no effect on your application.

Secondly Economics is one of the hot subjects at the moment and over the last few years there has been a surge in students wanting to apply in London making courses there massively competitive so for that reason most get rejected from places like LSE, UCL and to a lesser extent Kings. For that reason as you already been advised is is not sensible to apply to more than 2 courses in these top London universities. It isnt because they are better than provincial universities. It is because of the so called glamour of being in London amongst overseas students.

Will you get offers. In truth no one knows but the chances are you will be rejected from the likes of LSE and UCL as far more are rejected than accepted. Your chances will probably greater if you are not applying for Economics which is LSE's flagship course.

For this reason you would be best advised to apply for 2 Economics courses in LSE and UCL and apply elsewhere for your remaining 3 courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending