The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Official Loughborough University - Clearing Thread 2023

Hi everyone!

Welcome to Loughborough University’s Official Clearing Thread 2023.

This thread has been set up to discuss Clearing at Loughborough University for 2023.

If you want to find out more about Clearing and the process, please take a look at our website. Don’t forget that you can also sign up to get our helpful Ultimate Guide to Clearing for more information.

If you want to know about our current course listings, visit our website here.

International students can also find out more about Clearing at Loughborough University on this webpage.

We hope these links help, but if you have any questions about Clearing, please let us know below 😊

- Loughborough Team
(edited 9 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

i want to change my uni choice to information technology management for business or business it , computing . Would ITMB be on the clearing list ?
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by 17177171Ammmmm
i want to change my uni choice to information technology management for business or business it , computing . Would ITMB be on the clearing list ?

Hi @17177171Ammmmm,

Thank you for your message :smile:

I've spoken to the admissions team here at Loughborough University and they have said they do not know which courses may be in Clearing this year. However, if you are already holding an offer to study at Loughborough University, they may be able to amend it to a different course. If this is the case, please email [email protected] and include your full name and UCAS personal ID number in the email, along with details of the degree you now wish to be considered for and why. The admissions team will review your application to see if they are able to make a change.

I hope this helps :smile:

- Lindsay
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Is there anywhere that lists Clearing vacancies for Loughborough ?
Original post by dunnott
Is there anywhere that lists Clearing vacancies for Loughborough ?

Hi @dunnott,

Thank you for your message.

If you have your results already, you can find information regarding our early Clearing vacancies here. Click on the tab that says ‘I already have my results’.

If you do not have your results yet, you'll need to wait until August once A level results have been released and we know which courses will be in Clearing.

I hope this helps :smile:

- Lindsay
Reply 5
Are foundation courses open for clearing? Or if I don't meet the conditions of my offer will I have the option to opt for a foundation year?
Original post by vb334
Are foundation courses open for clearing? Or if I don't meet the conditions of my offer will I have the option to opt for a foundation year?

Hi @vb334,

Thank you for your message.

It is unlikely that we will have Clearing vacancies for our Foundation courses. However, a full list of vacancies will appear on our website at 8am on Thursday, 17th August. There is a process we follow if you do not meet your offer in August; you can read more about this process here. If you have any concerns about your application, please email [email protected].

Hope this helps!

- Lindsay
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 7
Hi, I have an offer of AAA for economics (Loughborough is insurance and Nottingham firmed for A*AA) but it is much more likely that I will get A*AB as biology didn’t go as well as I would have hoped. I am aware that these grades have the same UCAS points but I heard that this can still lead to a rejection. Please could someone give me an indication of how likely i am to be successful if I were to get A*AB for the AAA course as it is all I can think about.
Thanks
Original post by Clameron
Hi, I have an offer of AAA for economics (Loughborough is insurance and Nottingham firmed for A*AA) but it is much more likely that I will get A*AB as biology didn’t go as well as I would have hoped. I am aware that these grades have the same UCAS points but I heard that this can still lead to a rejection. Please could someone give me an indication of how likely i am to be successful if I were to get A*AB for the AAA course as it is all I can think about.
Thanks

You are correct that it can still lead to rejection, as the requirement was to obtain a grade A (or higher) in each of your three A levels. If you obtain a B in one of them, then you will not have meet the conditions of your offer.

Unfortunately, nobody can tell you how likely you are to be accepted, as it will depend on how all the offer students holding offers for that same course do. Loughborough will have made more offers than they have places, as that know (from experience) that not all offer-holders meet their offer conditions. So they'll first accept all their firm applicants who have met their conditions. They they accept all their insurance applicants who have met their conditions (but have not been accepted by their firm choice). Then they'll see how many places they have left on the course. If the course is full at this point, then you won't be accepted.

However, if there is still space, they'll likely look at their "near miss" candidates (which you would be in this scenario) and make a judgement as to which of these candidates they should accept. In making this decision, they look at your overall grade profile (with your theoretical A* giving you an edge), the subjects in which you have achieved each grade and their relevance to the course (with Biology not being particularly relevant to an Economics degree; is there any chance that your A* would be in Economics?). If that doesn't narrow-down the field sufficiently, they may also refer back to your original application (your GCSE grades, your personal statement, your school reference, etc.) in order to make this decision.

They may also opt to open the course to Clearing, in the hope of getting AAA (or better) candidates that way. (Students can "upgrade" their university via Clearing if they did better than predicted; there will also some students for which an achieved AAA didn't meet their firm or insurance conditions.)

For all of the above reasons, the answer to your question is unknowable, unfortunately. You will just need to wait until A level results day.

Good luck. :crossedf:
Reply 9
Original post by DataVenia
You are correct that it can still lead to rejection, as the requirement was to obtain a grade A (or higher) in each of your three A levels. If you obtain a B in one of them, then you will not have meet the conditions of your offer.

Unfortunately, nobody can tell you how likely you are to be accepted, as it will depend on how all the offer students holding offers for that same course do. Loughborough will have made more offers than they have places, as that know (from experience) that not all offer-holders meet their offer conditions. So they'll first accept all their firm applicants who have met their conditions. They they accept all their insurance applicants who have met their conditions (but have not been accepted by their firm choice). Then they'll see how many places they have left on the course. If the course is full at this point, then you won't be accepted.

However, if there is still space, they'll likely look at their "near miss" candidates (which you would be in this scenario) and make a judgement as to which of these candidates they should accept. In making this decision, they look at your overall grade profile (with your theoretical A* giving you an edge), the subjects in which you have achieved each grade and their relevance to the course (with Biology not being particularly relevant to an Economics degree; is there any chance that your A* would be in Economics?). If that doesn't narrow-down the field sufficiently, they may also refer back to your original application (your GCSE grades, your personal statement, your school reference, etc.) in order to make this decision.

They may also opt to open the course to Clearing, in the hope of getting AAA (or better) candidates that way. (Students can "upgrade" their university via Clearing if they did better than predicted; there will also some students for which an achieved AAA didn't meet their firm or insurance conditions.)

For all of the above reasons, the answer to your question is unknowable, unfortunately. You will just need to wait until A level results day.

Good luck. :crossedf:

Thank you for your detailed and fast response! Yes I am hoping for the A* in econ as that is what I got in previous exams and I felt the papers went well. By the sound of it I would be unlikely to get a place at Nottingham if I missed my offer by a grade so I guess I can hope for the best with Loughborough. If Loughborough have other economics courses available for clearing could I apply to them with A*AB if they are AAA as I am trying to make a plan for results day
Thanks for being so helpful :smile:
Original post by Clameron
Thank you for your detailed and fast response! Yes I am hoping for the A* in econ as that is what I got in previous exams and I felt the papers went well. By the sound of it I would be unlikely to get a place at Nottingham if I missed my offer by a grade so I guess I can hope for the best with Loughborough. If Loughborough have other economics courses available for clearing could I apply to them with A*AB if they are AAA as I am trying to make a plan for results day
Thanks for being so helpful :smile:

I wouldn't write-off being accepted as a "near miss" candidate by Nottingham - your scenario has you achieving A*AB against an A*AA offer, so it's certainly possible. Although they ask for A*AA, the most popular subjects studied (and grades achieved) by Economics students there are Mathematics (A), Economics (A) and Further Mathematics (A). So it's not like they actually get A*AA students in every case. (Source)

If you don't make your Loughborough offer grades, and if you don't get accepted as a "near miss" candidate, then they might offer you a place on an alternative economics course anyway - if there's space. It's called an Unconditional Course Change (UCC) - the "unconditional" in the name stems from the fact that they know your grades, so can make you this "course change" offer unconditionally. I'm not saying that they will - just that they might.

If they don't, and those other economics courses are in Clearing, then you could absolutely apply for them. That applies to either university.
Reply 11
Original post by DataVenia
I wouldn't write-off being accepted as a "near miss" candidate by Nottingham - your scenario has you achieving A*AB against an A*AA offer, so it's certainly possible. Although they ask for A*AA, the most popular subjects studied (and grades achieved) by Economics students there are Mathematics (A), Economics (A) and Further Mathematics (A). So it's not like they actually get A*AA students in every case. (Source)

If you don't make your Loughborough offer grades, and if you don't get accepted as a "near miss" candidate, then they might offer you a place on an alternative economics course anyway - if there's space. It's called an Unconditional Course Change (UCC) - the "unconditional" in the name stems from the fact that they know your grades, so can make you this "course change" offer unconditionally. I'm not saying that they will - just that they might.

If they don't, and those other economics courses are in Clearing, then you could absolutely apply for them. That applies to either university.

I don’t study maths which is part of the reason I applied to both nottingham and Loughborough for economics as they did not require it. I will look into clearing as applicants with further maths or maths will be viewed as preferable when it comes to selecting near misses I assume. The UCC sounds interesting it would be brilliant if I was offered one for Loughborough but I guess I will have to wait and see :smile:
Reply 12
I saw my course went into clearing on this website: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/loughborough-university/clearing
is that correct and if so what does that mean
Original post by Micah574
I saw my course went into clearing on this website: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/loughborough-university/clearing
is that correct and if so what does that mean

Hi @Micah574,

Thank you for your message. Some external websites may show that there are courses in Clearing for Loughborough University. However, our website will update with a full list of any Clearing vacancies and requirements on Wednesday evening, and will update again fully when results are published at 8am on Thursday 17 August. Until results are published, we cannot confirm if we will have vacancies or what grades we will require, so we would encourage you to sign up to receive Clearing updates here from us to find out more.

- Lindsay
Hi everyone 😊 Just to let you know that, if you are looking at Clearing, our Clearing number is +44 (0)1509 274403 and the line opens at 8am BST on the 17 August. You can see the courses that are in Clearing at 8am on Thursday 17 August on our website. Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi @Micah574,

Thank you for your message. Some external websites may show that there are courses in Clearing for Loughborough University. However, our website will update with a full list of any Clearing vacancies and requirements on Wednesday evening, and will update again fully when results are published at 8am on Thursday 17 August. Until results are published, we cannot confirm if we will have vacancies or what grades we will require, so we would encourage you to sign up to receive Clearing updates here from us to find out more.

- Lindsay

I see the courses have come up onto ucas and are showing ucas a range of ucas tariff points for entry will that be what is accepted
Original post by Micah574
I see the courses have come up onto ucas and are showing ucas a range of ucas tariff points for entry will that be what is accepted

Hi @Micah574,

Our Clearing course vacancies for 2023 are now live on our website. You can view our Clearing courses here.

- Lindsay
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi everyone :smile: our Clearing course vacancies for 2023 are live on our website. If you are interested in joining Loughborough through Clearing, call us to discuss the courses you're interested in. Our Clearing hotline is now open and the number is +44 (0)1509 274403 :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 18
Hi Loughborough!
I just wanted to ask if clearing verification will be finished later today as I received a clearing offer from the uni on Thursday and it still hasn't been verified on UCAS. I'm a little worried as today is the deadline.

Any info you could give me?
Original post by MonoP
Hi Loughborough!
I just wanted to ask if clearing verification will be finished later today as I received a clearing offer from the uni on Thursday and it still hasn't been verified on UCAS. I'm a little worried as today is the deadline.

Any info you could give me?

Hi @MonoP,

Congratulations on your offer!

I have spoken to the Admissions Office in relation to your query and they have told me to ask you whether you can contact [email protected] with your full name and UCAS personal ID number. They will be able to check your current status.

Hope this helps! :smile:

- Lindsay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending