The Student Room Group

Disabled Receiving PIP Suspend Course

So this is really a question for SFE but I am struggling to get a straightforward answer. I currently get PIP Enhanced Daily Living and Mobility, I also have a PA funded by Adult Services (mentioned because may be relevant to my question), and am estranged from my family due to a family court order. I am struggling greatly in the first few weeks of this year, and I know that I have more challenges ahead with regard to having to attend the family court again (with the support of my PA). My question is if I were to suspend my course to restart September 2024, would I be able to apply for or automatically qualify to continue receiving my maintenance loan due to my being in receipt of PIP (tuition loan would stop until I restarted my course in 2024). I have been working until recently and would certainly attempt to again, but being able to continue receiving the maintenance loan due to my disability and receiving PIP would be a massive help. I do of course know that this would mean my using the + one year with regard to SFE
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by SWWJOHN
So this is really a question for SFE but I am struggling to get a straightforward answer. I currently get PIP Enhanced Daily Living and Mobility, I also have a PA funded by Adult Services (mentioned because may be relevant to my question), and am estranged from my family due to a family court order. I am struggling greatly in the first few weeks of this year, and I know that I have more challenges ahead with regard to having to attend the family court again (with the support of my PA). My question is if I were to suspend my course to restart September 2024, would I be able to apply for or automatically qualify to continue receiving my maintenance loan due to my being in receipt of PIP (tuition loan would stop until I restarted my course in 2024). I have been working until recently and would certainly attempt to again, but being able to continue receiving the maintenance loan due to my disability and receiving PIP would be a massive help. I do of course know that this would mean my using the + one year with regard to SFE

Hi John,

If you decide to suspend your studies you won't be entitled to any further Maintenance Loan payments, unfortunately.

However, if your university confirms that you've suspended on health grounds you will be awarded 60 extra days of funding. This can greatly reduce any overpayment that occurs, or you may be entitled to one additional payment: it depends on when you suspend.

So, it may be worth asking your university if they'll class you as suspended on health grounds.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi John,

If you decide to suspend your studies you won't be entitled to any further Maintenance Loan payments, unfortunately.

However, if your university confirms that you've suspended on health grounds you will be awarded 60 extra days of funding. This can greatly reduce any overpayment that occurs, or you may be entitled to one additional payment: it depends on when you suspend.

So, it may be worth asking your university if they'll class you as suspended on health grounds.

Thanks, Graeme

Graeme
Thank you for the quick reply, and apologies up front that I am going to add a further question -

Before posting I found some info on the .gov website, which to an extent is ambiguous but I am interested in whether the below does happen or is it the case that its VERY rare?

Quote from - https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-if-you-suspend-or-leave/getting-student-finance-while-you-suspend-your-studies
Accessed 7/10/2023

If you suspend for another serious personal reason

You might still be able to get a Maintenance Loan or any other grants you’re entitled to while you’ve suspended your studies.

Call Student Finance England (SFE) to check if you’re eligible to apply for extra financial help. If you’re eligible, you’ll be asked to complete a financial hardship confirmation form. SFE will then let you know whether you qualify for further help.

It is this sentence I am unsure of = 'Call Student Finance England (SFE) to check if you’re eligible to apply for extra financial help' How is it measured that I am eligible? Or is it just a quick check on my income (I do for example get PIP Enhanced Daily Living).

In my case its slightly complicated because I don't currently have a medical diagnosis which would support my suspending my studies, I do however have support from my social worker and adult social services PA. I guess I would just have to discuss this with my uni and hope they are happy to quote medical reasons to SFE which would at least give the 60 days.

Thank you and again apologies for replying with additional questions
Original post by SWWJOHN

H there, Your Maintenance Loan funding would be paused until you resumed study the following academic year. Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Original post by Angela SFE
H there, Your Maintenance Loan funding would be paused until you resumed study the following academic year. Thanks, Angela

Thanks Angela, it looks like I shall have to try phoning again to get a more comprehensive answer (this is because of the wording on the .gov site as quoted above).
Original post by SWWJOHN
Thanks Angela, it looks like I shall have to try phoning again to get a more comprehensive answer (this is because of the wording on the .gov site as quoted above).

Thanks. They'll be able to advise further regarding the additional 60 days (should you be eligible). Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending