The Student Room Group

parents giving money

My parents are got invited by our non immediate family to go to their house because they have a new baby and this part of our family is very rich, and my mum is stupidly giving them £100 as if they need it. This has really angered me as we are not rich at all and I don't understand why they would give THEM money.

I'm literally so upset because this is my mum's hard earned money she's giving to our very rich family members. I simply don't get it and now my mum is very upset with me because I got a bit angry at her asking her why she's doing this. £100 is not a small amount and a couple members of this part of our family have done us dirty in the past.

My mum is saying it's fine because it's her money and one of the family members has given her a lot of things but I just don't care, it doesn't justify this to me.

Also, my parents would probably have a heart attack if they had to spend this amount on me, or my sister.

Am i wrong to feel this way?
Yeah pretty much, she wants to make a gesture to invest in the kids future, it's nothing to do with what the parents do or don't have.

You don't really have any justification to be making a stink or demanding your mum explain herself to you.
(edited 6 months ago)
You are not wrong to feel this way but at the end of the day it is your mother's money not yours.
She chooses how to spend her money.
You choose how to spend yours.

I know how upsetting it can be when a parent shows favouritism at home and then goes out to give expensive gifts or cash to a nasty relative whose is a troublemaker.
But people have the right to decide who they want to be nice to and how they want to spend their cash.
Try not to get angry or take it personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending