The Student Room Group

White people culture s brown people culture

I am a brown girl and I went out for food with two of my white friends yesterday. We first went to a restaurant and then one of them suggested that we go to a dessert place which was fine with me.
When we went to the desert place, I found it quite weird how my friends were looking through the menu to find the cheapest thing possible and how they wouldn’t even spend £5 on a nice good quality milkshake.
They both come from decent families and live in good houses, as do I.
they customised their own waffle and decided to only have half seeming as a whole one would be too expensive. I’m not sure if the money was theirs or their parents but they both had cash. (£20). Which surely isn’t enough especially if one of them literally suggested themselves to come to this dessert place.
Meanwhile, I was choosing whatever I wanted because I’ve always had my parents credit card on my phone. My dad always said to me that because I’m a good child and I do my work at home and I’m sensible, he doesn’t mind that I spent £8 on an ice cream sundae and £5 for bubble tea etc.
it just seemed as though them two were implicitly criticising me the whole time because I have ‘daddy’s money’.
I don’t have a part time job (I’m 17) and doing alevels and I’m getting all As and A*s atm.
They were even talking about uni and how they’d have to pay a lot of the rent. When they asked me, I was honest and said my dad paid fully for my sisters, and then they both gave me a dirty look.
It’s not even just outside of school, it happens in school too.
When I queue in the lunch line to get a coffee, my friend will always persuade me to buy a sausage roll solely because she wants it. She’s always like ‘that looks sooo good you should buy it’
I was upfront and said to her: if you want it so much, buy it. And then she just laughed.
I’m not being rude at all because I’ve been to her house and it’s standard. Both of her parents are retired and both siblings are working, so what could the money issue possibly be? Yes, I did buy it for her a few times but then she just kept asking.

When a friend of mine comes around to my house, I’d normally pay for all the food (like say if we got a pizza) because that’s how I’ve been raised. But when I went to her house she made me pay for the pizza she ordered for us?
I find it baffling how different cultures handle money differently.

Scroll to see replies

I’m not sure this is so much a cultural issue as a financial one.

You’re coming from a position of being financially privileged in having access to your parents cards. Perhaps your friends have had to budget more carefully regardless of their parents finances.

Obviously if they are trying to mooch off of you, then that is another matter.
Original post by Anonymous
I am a brown girl and I went out for food with two of my white friends yesterday. We first went to a restaurant and then one of them suggested that we go to a dessert place which was fine with me.
When we went to the desert place, I found it quite weird how my friends were looking through the menu to find the cheapest thing possible and how they wouldn’t even spend £5 on a nice good quality milkshake.
they customised their own waffle and decided to only have half seeming as a whole one would be too expensive. I’m not sure if the money was theirs or their parents but they both had cash. (£20). Which surely isn’t enough especially if one of them literally suggested themselves to come to this dessert place.
Meanwhile, I was choosing whatever I wanted because I’ve always had my parents credit card on my phone. My dad always said to me that because I’m a good child and I do my work at home and I’m sensible, he doesn’t mind that I spent £8 on an ice cream sundae and £5 for bubble tea etc.
it just seemed as though them two were implicitly criticising me the whole time because I have ‘daddy’s money’.
I don’t have a part time job (I’m 17) and doing alevels and I’m getting all As and A*s atm.
They were even talking about uni and how they’d have to pay a lot of the rent. When they asked me, I was honest and said my dad paid fully for my sisters, and then they both gave me a dirty look.
When I queue in the lunch line to get a coffee, my friend will always persuade me to buy a sausage roll solely because she wants it. She’s always like ‘that looks sooo good you should buy it’
I was upfront and said to her: if you want it so much, buy it. And then she just laughed.
I’m not being rude at all because I’ve been to her house and it’s standard. Both of her parents are retired and both siblings are working, so what could the money issue possibly be? Yes, I did buy it for her a few times but then she just kept asking.

When a friend of mine comes around to my house, I’d normally pay for all the food (like say if we got a pizza) because that’s how I’ve been raised. But when I went to her house she made me pay for the pizza she ordered for us?

1) people who tease you because you come from a good family, are usually just jealous. Being raised in a affluent family is a huge blessing so never feel bad if they ever tease you about it.

2) your friends might be taking advantage of your finacial sitaution, be very careful. Are they friends with you OR are they friends with your credit card.

Thats all I really got lol, it sounds more like a difference in privilege more than a culutral one. I have from a similar culture and i know many who woundn't pay for a thing lol

As usual, I completely agree with @Admit-One here. Most kids do not have access to parental credit facilities such as you have - it would perhaps behove you to be more mindful of this.

My dad always said to me that because I’m a good child and I do my work at home and I’m sensible, he doesn’t mind that I spent £8 on an ice cream sundae and £5 for bubble tea etc.

Just bear in mind that for a lot of families rn, it's got nothing to do with being 'good' or 'doing work at home' as to whether or not the parent can afford to give their child £13 for a snack. Some families just don't have this sort of spare money: and the 'sort of house they live in' is a very poor indicator of someone's cash position and what they can currently afford.
Original post by Reality Check
As usual, I completely agree with @Admit-One here. Most kids do not have access to parental credit facilities such as you have - it would perhaps behove you to be more mindful of this.

Just bear in mind that for a lot of families rn, it's got nothing to do with being 'good' or 'doing work at home' as to whether or not the parent can afford to give their child £13 for a snack. Some families just don't have this sort of spare money: and the 'sort of house they live in' is a very poor indicator of someone's cash position and what they can currently afford.

So what exactly do you sugget she does? start feeling sorry for them lol?
So what exactly do you sugget she does? start feeling sorry for them lol?

Don't be childish. It means checking your privilege, and realising that not everyone has access to their father's credit card.

Is that really so surprising for you?

I suggest very seriously that you change the title of this thread. You're well off, your friends aren't. Be more aware.
Original post by ageshallnot
I suggest very seriously that you change the title of this thread. You're well off, your friends aren't. Be more aware.

excuse me? I am well aware thank you.
i have a brown friend who is not as privileged as me yet she has never done anything like these friends?
This brown friend won’t go asking me for the apparent ‘money that i owe her’ when I go over to her house and have a pizza, so I reciprocate the same energy back.
Maybe being more privileged is a part of it, but there’s definitely something to do with cultural background as well.
Don't be childish. It means checking your privilege, and realising that not everyone has access to their father's credit card.

Is that really so surprising for you?

OP has never said that she teased her friends for not having the same budget as her ,while her friends have no issue teasing her for being having a higher budget.
As others have said this is less a cultural issue and a class/financial issue.

You sound somewhat insensitive, not everyone has access to their parents finances like you have and given the current cost of living finances even seemingly 'well off' families are struggling.

Be grateful you have friends to even spend time with, not everything is about money and you dont have to spend money to enjoy yourself. Unless you are the one paying for everything on behalf of your friends you have no grounds to complain about how they spend their own money.
Things like this also annoy me to the core.
If you dont got it, just shut up.
Dont manipulate me, dont pressure me, dont try to make me feel bad. I will buy it for you if you weren't dry begging.

If the sort of house they live in isnt an indicator of how wealthy they are, then what is it?

And for OP it may also be they have the 'my money, I pay myself' culture rather than 'my parents will pay for what they think is beneficial for me' culture that a lot of asians have
excuse me? I am well aware thank you.
i have a brown friend who is not as privileged as me yet she has never done anything like these friends?
This brown friend won’t go asking me for the apparent ‘money that i owe her’ when I go over to her house and have a pizza, so I reciprocate the same energy back.
Maybe being more privileged is a part of it, but there’s definitely something to do with cultural background as well.

Most people appear to differ.
Original post by CoolCavy
As others have said this is less a cultural issue and a class/financial issue.

You sound somewhat insensitive, not everyone has access to their parents finances like you have and given the current cost of living finances even seemingly 'well off' families are struggling.

Be grateful you have friends to even spend time with, not everything is about money and you dont have to spend money to enjoy yourself. Unless you are the one paying for everything on behalf of your friends you have no grounds to complain about how they spend their own money.

why is everyone taking this the wrong way. I never Said ANYTHING or never COMPLAINED about how my friends spend their money. Idc what they do with it. They’ve been teasing me for getting the food I wanted it, yet ended up scraping the left overs of my food. I’m not some billionaire but I wonder how you’d feel if your friend pressured you to buy something purely because she wants to eat it. she goes out every other week and I stay at home, she can’t be struggling that much hm?

There might be no money issue.
Some people are just like...why spend mine when I can spend yours.
Original post by xox416
Dont manipulate me, dont pressure me, dont try to make me feel bad. I will buy it for you if you weren't dry begging.

This is where I do agree, their friends should not be begging OP for things they cant afford.

If the sort of house they live in isnt an indicator of how wealthy they are, then what is it?

Depends if they actually own the house or if it is shared ownership or mortgage on an open market that is increasingly common. With a car brought on finance added in. A lot of things people do not actually own and whilst it can give the appearance of being well off, it could all be lost at a moments notice.

More affluent than a council house with no car yes, but probably not as well off as they appear.
Original post by xox416

it’s so bad to the point where I don’t even buy myself things at school any more knowing she’ll end up having it. Yeah, of course if she had no food for lunch I’d give it to her, I’m her friend. But she brings a whole sandwich to school, crisps etc and still begs for more?

This speaks to how little you know on this subject. Have you ever heard the phrase 'asset rich, cash poor'?
This speaks to how little you know on this subject. Have you ever heard the phrase 'asset rich, cash poor'?

It's mad that this is having to be explained.
it’s so bad to the point where I don’t even buy myself things at school any more knowing she’ll end up having it. Yeah, of course if she had no food for lunch I’d give it to her, I’m her friend. But she brings a whole sandwich to school, crisps etc and still begs for more?

If anyone of my "friends" used " your daddy's moneys" on me I would've dog walked their asses.

Jk. but I wouldn't bother with people who talk to me like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending