The Student Room Group

Newbie gains?

I’ve always heard of this thing called newbie gains with muscle training. I am 14 years old 84kg which is obese but I feel I have a lot of potential as my muscle is quit visible even under all the fat. With newbie gains is it better to make use of them when I am able to access a gym. As at home I only have a small set of adjustable dumbbells and a bar ranging up to 15kgs.
Original post by js234
I’ve always heard of this thing called newbie gains with muscle training. I am 14 years old 84kg which is obese but I feel I have a lot of potential as my muscle is quit visible even under all the fat. With newbie gains is it better to make use of them when I am able to access a gym. As at home I only have a small set of adjustable dumbbells and a bar ranging up to 15kgs.

I wouldnt train really heavily and seriously if I was you regarding weight training as your only 14 and got allot of growing to do if you get me, cause you risk injury. but do some weight training which you can easily do at home, but I would say focus on cardio and build up your stamina
Reply 2
Would cardio and body weight excersises be a good alternative
Original post by B7861
I wouldnt train really heavily and seriously if I was you regarding weight training as your only 14 and got allot of growing to do if you get me, cause you risk injury. but do some weight training which you can easily do at home, but I would say focus on cardio and build up your stamina
yh sure!
Original post by js234
Would cardio and body weight excersises be a good alternative
Reply 4
Original post by B7861
yh sure!

Just one moreeee question. It would be fine to just use the dumbbells and bar I have which goes up to 20 right as those r just the pure base and not too complicated. Also willl I lose newbie gains if I start doing dumbbell weights at home , because if there really is newbie gains I would rather I have it at a more efficient place like a gym when I’m 16
Original post by js234
Just one moreeee question. It would be fine to just use the dumbbells and bar I have which goes up to 20 right as those r just the pure base and not too complicated. Also willl I lose newbie gains if I start doing dumbbell weights at home , because if there really is newbie gains I would rather I have it at a more efficient place like a gym when I’m 16

You can still make a huge amount of progress by just doing bodyweight exercises. Also, form over weight is what is going to help you progress and get the most out of the 'Newbie gains' phase. You will not lose any gains by doing weights at home, especially if you are new. As long as you perform each exercise with correct form and progressively overload, you will be fine.
Original post by js234

Listen your young, a little weight training with your equipment and cardio is fine, I did the same
Original post by js234

You'll make few gains with your current weight sets. Better than nothing though

Quick Reply

Latest