The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

which would you say would be the best combination out of these options?

english lit, psychology and politics
history, psychology and politics
psychology, history and english lit

im set on doing psychology (im in y10 and have been interested in psychology since the start of y8 so 2.5 years) and i've never once disliked english. i'm just unsure about history because of the content and method stuff, and obviously i haven't done politics as a subject before, so what are your guys' thoughts?

TL;DR: im set on doing psychology, which A Level combination out of these is the best would you say? Y10 atm btw

Original post by lexistar
which would you say would be the best combination out of these options?

im set on doing psychology (im in y10 and have been interested in psychology since the start of y8 so 2.5 years) and i've never once disliked english. i'm just unsure about history because of the content and method stuff, and obviously i haven't done politics as a subject before, so what are your guys' thoughts?

TL;DR: im set on doing psychology, which A Level combination out of these is the best would you say? Y10 atm btw

Choose the combination you're likely to enjoy most and get the best grades in. From what you've said ("i've never once disliked english" / "i'm just unsure about history"), that's likely to be your "english lit, psychology and politics" combination.

Note that these are all essay-based subjects (well, Psychology is probably less so than the others). If you wanted to throw-in a non essay-based subject instead, consider Mathematics or Biology. Psychology includes some elements of both, and universities will occasionally require one of the other of those. (Having said that, I believe that only applies to Cambridge, and even then not to all Cambridge colleges.)
Reply 2
i would fail a level biology so bad 😭 i can do it to a basic level but a level is too far

but tysm! ill probably end up going with the english lit politics psychology combo tbh, and I'm not particularly inclined for cambridge- i've looked at unis and most don't require an additional science for psychology luckily. like i can do sciences to the extent ill probably need for psych a level and im good at maths im just not passionate about maths. im definitely an essay-based subject girl haha
Reply 3
i also forgot to mention i'm only unsure about politics because i haven't done it as a subject before, and i know politics + history together would probably be better but would unis tend to be highly accepting of a english literature/politics/psychology combination? because my issue now is really whether they go together or not, because english literature/politics/history would probably be better, i just really want to do psychology but no other science subjects (unis count psychology as a science ofc cause the bio + maths elements).
Original post by lexistar
i also forgot to mention i'm only unsure about politics because i haven't done it as a subject before, and i know politics + history together would probably be better but would unis tend to be highly accepting of a english literature/politics/psychology combination? because my issue now is really whether they go together or not, because english literature/politics/history would probably be better, i just really want to do psychology but no other science subjects (unis count psychology as a science ofc cause the bio + maths elements).

If you "really want to do psychology but no other science subjects", then what those other subjects are is frankly irrelevant (from the set you're choosing between). So, as I said above, "Choose the combination you're likely to enjoy most and get the best grades in."

Universities are just as likely to accept "a english literature/politics/psychology combination", which seems to be what your suggesting, as they are to accept any of the other combinations you've proposed.
Reply 5
thank you! i have a friend the year above me and he has confirmed that schools don't talk to you that much about a level options 😕 so thank you so much for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest