The Student Room Group

Psychology application

I’ve noticed on many psychology courses (Huddersfield, sheffield), that their entry requirements don’t include specific subjects? Only points.
Is it possible to get into psychology without studying psychology for alevels?
Original post by MkhaStudent12
I’ve noticed on many psychology courses (Huddersfield, sheffield), that their entry requirements don’t include specific subjects? Only points.

Absolutely it is. Many schools / colleges don't even offer Psychology A level, so it would be a tad unfair to make it a mandatory subject.

There are plenty that don't have it as a requirement don't worry! And the ones that have it as "recommended" or "preferred" still consider students who didn't take it.
I got into Uni of Nottingham and RHUL and more for psychology without psych a level :smile:
Reply 3
Sure no need to study psychology for a levels, some Unis require science subjects but not necessarily psychology.
(edited 1 month ago)

Hello, most if not all universities that offer psychology degrees do not require applicants to have an A Level in psychology. This is because not all sixth forms / colleges will offer it at A Level, and some people may have studied BTECs instead. At Lancaster, the only requirement for me when applying was to have at least a 6 in GCSE maths, however this requirement can sometimes be flexible if you can prove another way that you have sufficient mathematical skills. Overall, having an A Level in psychology is beneficial for first year as you will have a base knowledge of most areas going into it, but the degree will most likely be taught from a point of view of assuming students have no prior knowledge.
Good luck with your application!
-Kat (2nd year undergraduate psychology student at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest