The Student Room Group

uni work and employment balance

So I’m currently in my second year at uni and really struggling to strike a god balance between my university work, employment work and my social life. Sadly I’m not one of these students who just work part time for a bit of extra cash, I have to work between 25-35 hours a week to be able to pay my rent and put food on the table with everything else in between (phone contract etc) My maintenance loan doesn’t even cover my accommodation and my parents are struggling with money so they can’t help me out at all so It’s down to me to make enough money.
So far it has been incredibly hard because after work I have very little energy and sit through lectures like a zombie mainly because I was working until late the night before and that’s when I can get up and go to them. In addition, it’s very hard on the mental health because everyone around me is having a good time, they have enough time to stud and go out and see each other whereas I really don’t. it is making me question if uni is really worth it at this point.

I was hoping someone could offer advice or if anyone else has had to go through a similar thing and how they have dealt with it.
Many people are in a similar situation Alex. You're not alone.
First step is to get an appointment with the Uni welfare service. They can provide/signpost various services such as mental health support and liaise with the academic staff if the workload becomes too much.
Reply 2
Original post by Alex_Antoniuy02
So I’m currently in my second year at uni and really struggling to strike a god balance between my university work, employment work and my social life. Sadly I’m not one of these students who just work part time for a bit of extra cash, I have to work between 25-35 hours a week to be able to pay my rent and put food on the table with everything else in between (phone contract etc) My maintenance loan doesn’t even cover my accommodation and my parents are struggling with money so they can’t help me out at all so It’s down to me to make enough money.
So far it has been incredibly hard because after work I have very little energy and sit through lectures like a zombie mainly because I was working until late the night before and that’s when I can get up and go to them. In addition, it’s very hard on the mental health because everyone around me is having a good time, they have enough time to stud and go out and see each other whereas I really don’t. it is making me question if uni is really worth it at this point.

I was hoping someone could offer advice or if anyone else has had to go through a similar thing and how they have dealt with it.

That is really difficult, as your education and social life will inevitably suffer if you work 25-35 hours per week. There are not enough hours in the week for it not to have a negative impact. Like you say, many students just work say 8hrs or so week for extra pocket money, not to pay rent. Like the other op has said, maybe talk to a welfare officer. It might end up being better to take a year out to build some funds, rather than struggling like you are.

Sorry to hear you're struggling!
Does your uni have student ambassadors? I work for my university as an ambassador and we can pick assignments and hours that suit us. Perhaps you could reduce your hours in your current role and take on ambassador work too to make up the difference. The assignments are really fun and you get a sense of being sociable. You also feel a sense of pride representing your university and being among other ambassadors has helped me make lots of friends.

@Alex_Antoniuy02

That's a lot of stress! It's not surprising that you are struggling to get through lectures.

I think you should definitely reach out to your student union or to support services available at your university. There might be funding available to you that you can access that would take the pressure of you or they might able to suggest ways you can manage some of the financial pressures.

I think it would also be good to talk to your personal tutor, so that they are aware of some of the challenges you are facing. They will be able to give you some advice/ help you consider your options e.g. doing your degree part-time or going down an apprenticeship route where your work is directly related to your degree and where you are being paid to study.

It might also be good to think about where you can reduce cost e.g. Is it possible to alter your phone contract? Are there direct debits you can cancel? Do you have a student bank account?

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending