The Student Room Group

Uni work and employment balance

So I’m currently in my second year at uni and really struggling to strike a god balance between my university work, employment work and my social life. Sadly I’m not one of these students who just work part time for a bit of extra cash, I have to work between 25-35 hours a week to be able to pay my rent and put food on the table with everything else in between (phone contract etc) My maintenance loan doesn’t even cover my accommodation and my parents are struggling with money so they can’t help me out at all so It’s down to me to make enough money.
So far it has been incredibly hard because after work I have very little energy and sit through lectures like a zombie mainly because I was working until late the night before and that’s when I can get up and go to them. In addition, it’s very hard on the mental health because everyone around me is having a good time, they have enough time to stud and go out and see each other whereas I really don’t. it is making me question if uni is really worth it at this point.

I was hoping someone could offer advice or if anyone else has had to go through a similar thing and how they have dealt with it.
Reply 1
It’s too many hours on top of full time study, it’s like having two jobs at the same time. I don’t think it can be made to work. Maybe get some advice on your finances from your SU and see if you can reduce hours. Or look in to a different option to study while you work and get the qualification over a longer period
Original post by Alex_Antoniuy02
So I’m currently in my second year at uni and really struggling to strike a god balance between my university work, employment work and my social life. Sadly I’m not one of these students who just work part time for a bit of extra cash, I have to work between 25-35 hours a week to be able to pay my rent and put food on the table with everything else in between (phone contract etc) My maintenance loan doesn’t even cover my accommodation and my parents are struggling with money so they can’t help me out at all so It’s down to me to make enough money.
So far it has been incredibly hard because after work I have very little energy and sit through lectures like a zombie mainly because I was working until late the night before and that’s when I can get up and go to them. In addition, it’s very hard on the mental health because everyone around me is having a good time, they have enough time to stud and go out and see each other whereas I really don’t. it is making me question if uni is really worth it at this point.

I was hoping someone could offer advice or if anyone else has had to go through a similar thing and how they have dealt with it.

I'd see if there are any grants or loans that you could apply for. Especially if your parents are on a low income at home

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending