The Student Room Group

Looking for student finance help

I am British but moved to the USA with my parents 20 years ago. We all came back to live in England in 2015. I am a mature student and thought I had to pay for the course myself, undergrad degree Y1. I have been told I should apply for student finance since I am struggling with living costs now
Reply 1
You should be able to get a student fiance loan, if you've been living in the uk for more than three years then definitely apply!
Original post by AdamUKUEA
I am British but moved to the USA with my parents 20 years ago. We all came back to live in England in 2015. I am a mature student and thought I had to pay for the course myself, undergrad degree Y1. I have been told I should apply for student finance since I am struggling with living costs now

As above, you should be able to apply. The deadline for applications is nine months from the start of the academic year for your course.
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
As above, you should be able to apply. The deadline for applications is nine months from the start of the academic year for your course.

Many thanks. I can find nowhere where It says I am eligible? Apparently had to have lived in Europe a few years ago then moved to UK? All a bit strange, there is a rule under UK Nationals coming back?
Original post by AdamUKUEA
Many thanks. I can find nowhere where It says I am eligible? Apparently had to have lived in Europe a few years ago then moved to UK? All a bit strange, there is a rule under UK Nationals coming back?

The following is quoted from this page https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

When you’re eligible for full support
You can apply for full support if all the following apply:

you’re a UK national or Irish citizen or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
you normally live in England
you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years in a row before the first day of the first academic year of your course (apart from temporary absences such as holidays)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending