My predicted grades are:
7 - maths
888 - bio chem physics
6 - english lang
7 - english lit
8 - history
6 - computer science
7 - german

i wanna go to oxford for medicine, does these gcse grades change if i will be able to get into it? Are gcse grades even relevant? Should i worry if i dont get all 9s coz i might be outgraded by someone?
Original post by doorhandle86
My predicted grades are:
7 - maths
888 - bio chem physics
6 - english lang
7 - english lit
8 - history
6 - computer science
7 - german

i wanna go to oxford for medicine, does these gcse grades change if i will be able to get into it? Are gcse grades even relevant? Should i worry if i dont get all 9s coz i might be outgraded by someone?
Hi @doorhandle86

Firstly, those grades are great! However, I think you should really consider why it is that you want to study at Oxford.

GCSE grades are very relevant, you have to demonstrate academic success at the highest level. But it is not the only thing they are looking for. I believe your knowledge will have to go beyond what you have learned at GCSE and A Levels. You will have to undergo a series of interviews where they will try to understand who you are as a person and you will need to demonstrate what else, outside of school, you have done or are doing to support your love of medicine.

But again, I would seriously consider if a university like Oxford is what you actually want and if it will suit you best. Don't place all your eggs in one basket, research other universities that you would happily attend too.

I wish you all the best!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @doorhandle86

Firstly, those grades are great! However, I think you should really consider why it is that you want to study at Oxford.

GCSE grades are very relevant, you have to demonstrate academic success at the highest level. But it is not the only thing they are looking for. I believe your knowledge will have to go beyond what you have learned at GCSE and A Levels. You will have to undergo a series of interviews where they will try to understand who you are as a person and you will need to demonstrate what else, outside of school, you have done or are doing to support your love of medicine.

But again, I would seriously consider if a university like Oxford is what you actually want and if it will suit you best. Don't place all your eggs in one basket, research other universities that you would happily attend too.

I wish you all the best!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Thank you for responding, what exactly would i do to show that i am very keen to do medicine and to show them this in an interview? I want to study at a uni which is good for medicine, and i hear unis like oxford are.
Original post by doorhandle86
My predicted grades are:
7 - maths
888 - bio chem physics
6 - english lang
7 - english lit
8 - history
6 - computer science
7 - german

all unis are good for medicine. a degree like lets say chemistry, would have a better advantage as Oxford. medicine in all unis are good as only the "best" uni's that are approved can do a course.

According to oxford stats, 80% of applicants has gcse grades 8/9 for med. with the average being 8.5 GCSE at an a star. 8/9/ more successful candidates would likely have higher gcse grades. you need to work harder rn, try and get all 9s or at least above 8s for oxford. as the grades currently if you do get them won't really work for oxford. cambridge and other great unis could work as they focus more on a levels and the medicine entrance exam. just remember why do you want to do med, why not history or philosophy, why medicine. why oxford, its there a reason, the history, the tradition, the prestige. point being you are still quite young, you decision may change so keep your options open. and for doctors medicine at any uni is treated equally

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/faqs/what-is-the-gcse-cut-off
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest