The Student Room Group

Personal Statement (work experience)

Hey guys. I am Yr12 drafting PS this Christmas. Got a few questions about Personal Statement.

I have briefly went over how PS were usually done

P1: Which course and why (goal, aim and reason)
P2: Work Experience (take 60%, what you learnt)
p3: Academic studys (30%)
p4 Personal life and hobbies (5%)

I am currently doing young enterprise and CanSatellite for my econ and physics applications. However I wonder what exactly is a work experience and how should I get a chance to attend to them. I initially thought it was something like actually applying for a proper job in companies and I was panicking.

Then the school sent us a email with a website offering work experience however it turned out to be a paid session to listen some professional workers sharing their experience in a university classroom. It is quite expensive, a single session will cost 200 pounds without including my fees going to London (which may add another 100)

Any advice on what is a good work experience to apply for or randomly mentioning some level of experience in the real world helps (I don't thinks something like being a trained labour in factory that does repetitive work counts as a valid work experience for uni application)?
Work experience isn't relevant to most academic degrees and wouldn't benefit inclusion in any form for a PS for those subjects.

What is it that you're thinking of applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Work experience isn't relevant to most academic degrees and wouldn't benefit inclusion in any form for a PS for those subjects.

What is it that you're thinking of applying for?

Really? I am deciding between Math Physics and Economics
Original post by Kizksakura
Really? I am deciding between Math Physics and Economics

Then your PS should be 80% or more focused on your academic interests - work experience isn't required of helpful for any of those degrees.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Then your PS should be 80% or more focused on your academic interests - work experience isn't required of helpful for any of those degrees.

Work Experience as in all sorts of extra corricular activities such as volunteering; summer schools; work experience etc. Sorry I didn't explain properly. So for Academic interest is basically explain why I am choosing the course and why I should get in this uni to do the course?
Original post by Kizksakura
Work Experience as in all sorts of extra corricular activities such as volunteering; summer schools; work experience etc. Sorry I didn't explain properly. So for Academic interest is basically explain why I am choosing the course and why I should get in this uni to do the course?

Volunteering and work experience isn’t relevant to academic degrees.

Academic interests is your motivation and interest in the subject. As demonstrated by super curricular activities beyond the curriculum of your A levels - reading, documentaries, podcasts, moocs etc etc. it’s the topics you have enjoyed finding out more about and that you want to learn more about within your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending